Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Lone Wolf <lo...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/30 01:02:48 UTC

WMA Parser

Because I needed, I developed recently a parser so I could extract metadata
from wma files, and I would like to contribute with it.
But there may be a small problem, I have used jaudiotagger which is LGPL
licensed.
So it being a dependency will cause conflicts with the Apache License?
Or I can contribute with my code even though it depends on jaudiotagger?
Best regards
Nelson

Re: WMA Parser

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Lone Wolf <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a last resort that will have to be my option, but as I can see I can
> license my code with a different license from LGPL?

Yes, you can license your own code any way you want.

Note however that the LGPL extends some conditions on the combined
work if you distribute your code together with the LGPL library. This
is why Apache policy is to avoid LGPL dependencies.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: WMA Parser

Posted by Lone Wolf <lo...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Lone Wolf <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Because I needed, I developed recently a parser so I could extract
> metadata
> > from wma files, and I would like to contribute with it.

 Nice!

> > But there may be a small problem, I have used jaudiotagger which is LGPL
> > licensed.
> > So it being a dependency will cause conflicts with the Apache License?
>
> Yes, that's unfortunately a problem, see
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x for details.
>
> > Or I can contribute with my code even though it depends on jaudiotagger?
>
> Is there some way to avoid the LGPL dependency? Alternatively, would
> the author of jaudiotagger consider relicensing the library to a more
> permissive license?
>
> Avoiding the LGPL dependency it's only possible if I manage to write my own
library to read the WMA tags, or if someone else knows of other library that
is compatible with the Apache License.
Asking the author its an idea but I doublt it is accepted.

> Finally, if neither of these options works, you can always make your
> code available somewhere else (Github, Google Code, etc.) and we can
> instruct people who can use LGPL dependencies to find your code there.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

As a last resort that will have to be my option, but as I can see I can
license my code with a different license from LGPL? I dont really like that
license.

Nelson

Re: WMA Parser

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.