Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by "Petrenko, Vadim" <va...@ns.nl> on 2020/11/20 10:27:19 UTC

Edge router on the client side

Hi Qpid developers,

We’re considering this possibility:

Containerize a preconfigured Edge router (possibly together with Artemis) and give it to an application team.

The application team will then deploy this container in their environment -> the Edge router will connect to a couple Interior routers in our Core network -> the client application will connect to the Edge router in the container using standard libraries like Qpid-JMS.

We expect this to allow easy scaling up of clients. We also want to attach a broker to the edge router in case messages need to be buffered (but this is client specific and does not belong to the generic core network setup).

Does this setup look reasonable from a Qpid developer’s point of view?
Maybe there are some pitfalls to watch out for? Especially exposing Interior routers to the world.

Thanks!

________________________________

Deze e-mail, inclusief eventuele bijlagen, is uitsluitend bestemd voor (gebruik door) de geadresseerde. De e-mail kan persoonlijke of vertrouwelijke informatie bevatten. Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van (de inhoud van) deze e-mail (en eventuele bijlagen) aan derden is uitdrukkelijk niet toegestaan. Indien u niet de bedoelde geadresseerde bent, wordt u vriendelijk verzocht degene die de e-mail verzond hiervan direct op de hoogte te brengen en de e-mail (en eventuele bijlagen) te vernietigen.

Informatie vennootschap<http://www.ns.nl/emaildisclaimer>

Re: Edge router on the client side

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 7:32 AM Petrenko, Vadim <va...@ns.nl>
wrote:

> Thank you guys for your responses.
>
> What bothers me is that such an Edge router placed at the client will have
> all the topology information about every single other router in the
> network, how they are interconnected, etc., as it has to participate in the
> routing data exchange. It will even expose the Qpid console! Will show
> network throughput, etc. Some data a client should have no access to imo.
>
> Some of these clients in our case might have intermittent connections over
> weak links, and there could be quite a few of them (i.e. several thousands
> clients). So this routing information would have to be exchanged every time
> a client's Edge router connects to the core network.
>
> Do you have any ideas how to mitigate this or maybe this shouldn't
> actually deserve any serious concerns?

Actually, the edge routers do not fully participate in the route table
exchange.  Edge routers are exposed to only those addresses needed by the
clients attached to the edge itself.  Specifically, when a subscriber
client attaches to the edge, the edge notifies its attached interior router
of the subscription address and leaves it to the interior router to
propagate that on behalf of the edge router.  Similar behavior for
producing clients - the edge queries its interior router for route details
for only the producer's destination address.

So the amount of routing information that needs to be exchanged between the
edge and its interior is minimal and probably is not something to be
concerned about.

-K

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.

> > What bothers me is that such an Edge router placed at the client will have
> > all the topology information about every single other router in the
> > network, how they are interconnected, etc., as it has to participate in the
> > routing data exchange. It will even expose the Qpid console! Will show
> > network throughput, etc. Some data a client should have no access to imo.
> >

> > Some of these clients in our case might have intermittent connections over
> > weak links, and there could be quite a few of them (i.e. several thousands
> > clients). So this routing information would have to be exchanged every time
> > a client's Edge router connects to the core network.
> >
> When the edge router connects to a router network (to an interior router),
> the router network thinks of the edge router as just just another client
> albeit a "special" client. The edge router itself is not part of the
> network. Whenever a qdstat client asks the edge router for the topology of
> the router network, it in turn asks the interior it is connected to for
> that information. That being said, I wonder if you can use some policy
> restrictions on the interior router to block all management requests
> (requests to $management address) coming from the edge router (I would let
> the policy experts weigh in on this). This would effectively block the edge
> router from accessing any sensitive information about the router network
> but still allowing qdstat/qdmanage  to work within the context of the edge
> router.

Using policy to restrict what address to which a client is allowed to read
or to write is most definitely an option. See
https://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-dispatch-1.14.0/user-guide/index.html#vhost-policy-examples-qdr

Policy can also restrict the number of connections a user may have simultaneously,
maximum message size, and other resource limits.
https://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-dispatch-1.14.0/user-guide/index.html#configuring-authorization-qdr

Posted by Ganesh Murthy <gm...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.