Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/05 18:15:44 UTC

[MENTOR] Re: Issues with LICENSE/NOTICE files

Here is a proposal for the NOTICE and RELEASE file changes going forward:

For release 0.3.1:

NOTICES file will be positioned at the top of the source tree. It will have
any references that aren't included as source removed - making it mostly
empty.
LICENSE file will also be position at the top of the source tree. For 0.3.1
we will include references to the licenses of all external project
dependencies and call them out as binary dependencies.

Both of these files will be copied into the release artifacts during
assembly.

Next release (trunk):

NOTICES file will be positioned at the top of the source tree. It will have
any references that aren't included as source removed - making it mostly
empty.
LICENSE file will remove direct references to external project licenses and
replace them with a pointer to a licenses directory that will contain all
of the license files for the binary dependencies.

Both files will continue to be copied into the release artifacts at
assembly time but in addition we will also copy the license directory as
well.

Looking for feedback on this from our mentors and sebb - who has initiated
the need for these changes.

Re: [MENTOR] Re: Issues with LICENSE/NOTICE files

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.
Attached is a patch that changes how the release binary artifact is
generated so that it copies the uppercase text files from the source
root into the binary archive root at assembly time.  This needs to be
combined with the work to combine the gateway-release/home text files
into the ones in the source root.

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
Okay - to circle back on sebb's questions:

1. "It is not just source that is important; binary files in the source
distribution (e.g. images) can potentially require an entry in the
NOTICE file.

Also not all 3rd party additions needs an entry in the NOTICE file.
But they must have an entry in the LICENSE file."

The only questionable thing is the hadoop-examples.jar file. If we have to,
we can add that to the NOTICE file.
I believe that we will try and remove it from the source distribution in
the next release and forward.

2. "Do you mean that you wish to use the same LICENSE file for both source
and binary archives?
I'm not sure that is specifically disallowed, but AFAIK it is not
recommended.
But I guess so long as it is clear which section of the file only
applies to the binary archive that would be OK for the next release."

We spent some time looking at what others are doing here and decided that
it probably made sense to look at a project that sebb is involved with.
JMeter has the following at the bottom of the LICENSE file:

Binary distributions additionally contain software included under
various licenses.

For details, please see the files under: licenses/bin

It then obviously has a license directory with bin and src subdirectories
that contain the license files for the respective distribution.
Would you recommend that we consider a different project as an example?

thanks!

Fwd: [MENTOR] Re: Issues with LICENSE/NOTICE files

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.