Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Saibabu Vallurupalli <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/31 01:14:39 UTC

Issue with startTLS

Hi All,

I configured my James server to use SSL/TLS and then I am trying to enable
startTLS=true my James is throwing exceptions:

*******************
INFO  19:24:19,929 | james.mailspooler | Run
org.apache.james.mailetcontainer.impl.JamesMailSpooler: dequeuer-1
INFO  19:24:19,929 | james.mailspooler | Queue=MailQueue:spool
INFO  19:24:19,929 | james.mailspooler | Stop
org.apache.james.mailetcontainer.impl.JamesMailSpooler: dequeuer-1
Exception in thread "main"
bean with name 'smtpserver-ssl' defined in class path resource
[context/james-server-context.xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested
exception is org.springframework.beans.FatalBeanException: Unable to
execute lifecycle method on beansmtpserver-ssl; nested exception is
org.apache.commons.configuration.ConfigurationException: startTLS is only
supported when using plain sockets
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:527)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:456)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:291)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:222)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:288)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:190)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:580)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:895)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:425)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.<init>(ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.java:139)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.<init>(ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.java:93)
        at
org.apache.james.container.spring.context.JamesServerApplicationContext.<init>(JamesServerApplicationContext.java:39)
        at org.apache.james.container.spring.Main.init(Main.java:66)
        at org.apache.james.container.spring.Main.main(Main.java:42)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.FatalBeanException: Unable to execute
lifecycle method on beansmtpserver-ssl; nested exception is
org.apache.commons.configuration.ConfigurationException: startTLS is only
supported when using plain sockets
        at
org.apache.james.container.spring.lifecycle.AbstractLifecycleBeanPostProcessor.postProcessBeforeInitialization(AbstractLifecycleBeanPostProcessor.java:65)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyBeanPostProcessorsBeforeInitialization(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:394)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1413)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:519)
        ... 13 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.configuration.ConfigurationException:
startTLS is only supported when using plain sockets
        at
org.apache.james.protocols.lib.netty.AbstractConfigurableAsyncServer.configure(AbstractConfigurableAsyncServer.java:223)
        at
org.apache.james.container.spring.lifecycle.ConfigurableBeanPostProcessor.executeLifecycleMethodBeforeInit(ConfigurableBeanPostProcessor.java:44)
        at
org.apache.james.container.spring.lifecycle.ConfigurableBeanPostProcessor.executeLifecycleMethodBeforeInit(ConfigurableBeanPostProcessor.java:28)
        at
org.apache.james.container.spring.lifecycle.AbstractLifecycleBeanPostProcessor.postProcessBeforeInitialization(AbstractLifecycleBeanPostProcessor.java:61)
        ... 16 more

*****************

Can you please suggest why I am unable to start TLS?

Thank you,
Sai

Re: Issue with startTLS

Posted by Saibabu Vallurupalli <sa...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

We are using  James 3 Beta 3 version and we do have two smtpserver files
one for secure connections and one for unsecured connections.
smtpserver.xml and smtpserver-ssl.xml files both are enabled. I am trying
startTLS for secured connections only.

Thank you,
Sai

Re: Issue with startTLS