Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Kevin J. Lacobie" <KJ...@duke-energy.com> on 2002/12/04 22:40:56 UTC

using DataSource with Microsoft's JDBC drivers

I've anyone's successfully configured Tomcat to use Microsoft's JDBC driver
package (i.e., com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver) as a Tomcat Resource, for
creating connections via DataSource, I'd love to hear from you.  I've
gotten their driver to work via the DriverManager path, but via a
DataSource am having no luck.    Intead of repeating all what I've tried,
I'd just like to know if anyone's got the driver to work well with Tomcat,
and a bit about their environment.

Best,

Kevin Lacobie

Re: using DataSource with Microsoft's JDBC drivers

Posted by Pierre-Laurent Ribault <ri...@ist.fujitsu.com>.
Hello,
It was not straightforward here either, but we finally found a working
configuration, using a usenet post by a MS guy as the base for our
experiments (Look for the thread "Steps for Setting up DataSource in
Tomcat4.0 Using SQLServerDataSource" in the
microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver group on Google)

Here is the server.xml chunk that is working for us:

<Context path="/myapp_sqlserver" docBase="myapp_sqlserver" debug="0"
reloadable="true">
   <Resource name="jdbc/SQLserverDB" auth="Container"
             type="com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver.SQLServerDataSource" />
   <ResourceParams name="jdbc/SQLserverDB">
     <parameter>
       <name>factory</name>
  <value>com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver.SQLServerDataSourceFactory</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
       <name>driverClassName</name>
       <value>com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver.SQLServerDataSource</value>
     </parameter>
     <!--
     <parameter>
       <name>driverName</name>
       <value>jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://myserver:1433</value>
     </parameter>
     -->
     <parameter>
       <name>driverName</name>
       <value>SQLServer</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
       <name>description</name>
       <value>SQL Server DataSource</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
       <name>serverName</name>
       <value>myserver</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
       <name>portNumber</name>
       <value>1433</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
       <name>user</name>
       <value>myuser</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
       <name>password</name>
       <value>mypassword</value>
     </parameter>
   </ResourceParams>
</Context>

The environment is :
Tomcat 4.0
Windows 2000 pro
SQL Server 2000
JDBC drivers from the MS site

Good Luck

Pierre-Laurent

Kevin J. Lacobie wrote:
> I've anyone's successfully configured Tomcat to use Microsoft's JDBC driver
> package (i.e., com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver) as a Tomcat Resource, for
> creating connections via DataSource, I'd love to hear from you.  I've
> gotten their driver to work via the DriverManager path, but via a
> DataSource am having no luck.    Intead of repeating all what I've tried,
> I'd just like to know if anyone's got the driver to work well with Tomcat,
> and a bit about their environment.
>
> Best,
>
> Kevin Lacobie

Pierre-Laurent Ribault