Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by theo burry <tv...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/01 21:20:31 UTC

java out of swap space error

Hi,

I am getting the following error in the geronimo logs for my webapp:

Exception in thread "CompilerThread1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 32764 bytes for ChunkPool::allocate. Out of swap space?

I did some research and added the following java_opts in geronimo.sh:

JAVA_OPTS='-Xms512m -Xmx512m -Xss128k -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m'

This virtually eliminated the problem but I am still seeing it occasionally.  Do I just need to tweak these memory settings or is there something else going on?  I don't get this error during periods of particularly high usage so it is a little puzzling.  I'm running geronimo 1.1.1 with jetty, java 1.5.0 on freebsd 4.

Thanks,
Theo

---------------------------------
Bored stiff? Loosen up...

Re: java out of swap space error

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
 From memory I think this means Solaris is out of swap space.  I think
you will find the problem will go away if you add another swap file.

Additional swap space can be allocated without having to bring the
system down. See:
    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5093/6mkisoq83?q=swap+file&a=view

Regards,

John