Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2012/07/27 05:42:51 UTC

reduction of entities in HR

we intend to reduce the number of entities in HR:

EmplLeave
EmplLeaveReasonType
EmplLeaveType  -> workeffort+related-entities so it also appears on the
calendar

JobInterview
JobInterviewType -> communication event and related entities

any comments or suggestions?

Regards,
Hans

Re: reduction of entities in HR

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
so you would add the types to respective workflow and communication events?

Hans Bakker sent the following on 7/26/2012 8:42 PM:

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hans,

Can you elaborate on why you intend to change this?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I think we should keep positive here. It seems to me than Hans has some points by trying to reuse and connect as much as possible
things, notably Facility for location (this could still be done from an Interview Entity)
But how to relate the possible many (communication) events related to a sole interview? So IMO the point is more if we consider an
interview as one and only one meeting or all the meetings a person has and which are related to a task (like to join a company).

My 2 cts

Jacques
PS: Hans, Adrian name is not either Hardrian  ;o)

From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
On 07/30/2012 06:20 PM, adrian.crum@sandglass-software.com wrote:
> I was trying to say in a polite way that maybe you should consider the
> possibility that data modelling is not one of your stronger skills,
> and trust the advice of others who are better at it.
>
> -Adrian

A well know saying is: be hard on the problem and soft on people....

http://www.shalomnova.org/inovations/2011/07/05/be-soft-on-people-but-hard-on-the-problem/

that is probably you and others in this group are missing.......

Re: reduction of entities in HR

Posted by ad...@sandglass-software.com.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Ardrian

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
On 7/27/2012 8:43 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:
> On 07/27/2012 02:33 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>> A sales order includes products, but a sales order is not a product.
>> A job interview might include communication events, but a job
>> interview is not a communication event.
>>
>> Using your logic, a sales order should be a communication event -
>> because it records a contact between a buyer and a seller.
>>
>> If you don't understand the data model, then you shouldn't change it.
>>
> thank you Adrian, for the nice and polite conversation, this could be
> the reason we cannot get other committers than just framework
> programmers for whom the communication via this medium could be improved.

Hans,

I apologize for the terse response and waving you off. I was feeling a
bit frustrated by this thread - not because of the conversation
contained in it, but because of the history of you asking for advice,
and when that advice is given, you argue against it.

I wasn't trying to appear superior. My response was based on the simple
idea of closing your eyes and picturing the job interview process. If
you take the time to do that, it should be obvious that the process may
include a number of communication events, but is not itself a
communication event. If you can't picture that, then maybe it's best to
just leave the model alone.

I'm not a data modelling expert, but I do manage to get models right
most of the time. When I get it wrong, I will be the first one to point
it out. There are other areas of development that I am not skilled in.
In those I cases I simply follow the advice of others and trust they are
leading me in the right direction.

 From my perspective, the developer community is composed of skilled

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Maybe you should follow the advice of Dirty Harry: "A man's gotta know
his limitations."

A job interview:

1. Has an estimated start time and end time
2. Has an actual start time and end time
3. Can be cancelled, postponed, or rescheduled
4. Includes a number of parties in various roles
5. includes a number of communication events
6. Has a location
7. Has a status (the outcome of the interview)

So, a job interview includes communication events, but it is not a
communication event. If anything, it resembles a Work Effort.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Adrian,

Since you still do not provide reasoning, let me explain a bit more to you.

 From the data model resource book volume 1 page 47:

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Hans.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
(trying to find a neutral point to reply to)

If it were me, I would probably keep JobInterview and make it a specialization of WorkEffort, much like Person and PartyGroup are to Party.  While an interview certainly requires communication, I think in terms of the company being modeled it's better suited as a task than an HR employee needs to perform.  WorkEffort could hold the generic task data and JobInterview holds the data specific to that type of task.  Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Scott

On 27/07/2012, at 9:23 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> 8. Could be related to an employment position
> 9. Could be related to a requirement
> 10. Could be related to an advertising campaign (which help wanted ad brings in the most applicants?)
>
> The list could go on...
>
> -Adrian
>
> On 7/27/2012 10:19 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
>> For sure. These are all valid arguments for doing in-dept analysis on the
>> effectiveness of the interviews (or surveys).
>>
>> Nonetheless, how the interview was/is conducted (by phone, online,
>> face-to-face or otherwise) are of less importance to the why of the
>> interview. Also the same applies to the items 1,2, and 6.
>>
>> More important are elements are, obviously, who is the party that is
>> executing the interview, who is interviews, what is the underpinning
>> subject, what are the questions, the types of the questions, and the
>> response. Also, who may see the survey (is it confidential, etc), who may
>> see the outcome to do statistical analysis, who may access individual
>>
>> But I am wondering where the intention to change this comes from.
>>

>> 2012/7/27 Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>
>>
>>> Yes but Adrian has some points:
>>>

>>>  A job interview:
>>>>
>>> 1+2) Time, duration, (both estimated and actual)
>>> 3) status
>>> 6) location,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
 I meant the DRMB.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Adrian :)

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@sandglass-software.com>

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
The job interview model is not in the DMRB - it was something we created
internally. The current model has some flaws that are easily fixed, but
it is fundamentally correct, and it can be expanded to accommodate more
data. For example, there might be information about the interview that a
government agency requires for reporting.

-Adrian

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Adrian, Hans,

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Also, the PerformanceReview model needs to be fixed in the same way as
JobInterview - relate parties to it using an intersection entity.

Taking it even further, JobInterview and PerformanceReview could be
based on a more generic entity - something like PartyInterview, then
each subtype can add its own properties.

-Adrian

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.