Posted to user@lucy.apache.org by Jason Dusek <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/18 02:47:24 UTC

lucy is gone?

  I guess Lucy isn't being worked on any more?

--
_jsn

Re: lucy is gone?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 07:47:16PM -0700, Jason Dusek wrote:

>   I'd like to find the current sources for Lucy, as I am
>   interested in exploring Haskell bindings.

What's in the Lucy repository itself isn't ready to be bound.  The closest
thing to what you seek would be the current KinoSearch sources, since I've
gutted KinoSearch and reimplemented its internals using the OO model that Dave
Balmain and I designed for Lucy.  It's not exactly Lucy, but it's a rough
draft, and any work you do now would serve also serve as a rough draft for
Lucy Haskell bindings.

If you're interested, we should start a "Haskell bindings" thread on lucy-dev.
I don't yet speak Haskell, but I'd be glad to learn and to help you.  It's
important to have at least one set of additional bindings and an official
public C API before KS gets declared stable and we move development to Lucy in
earnest.  I'd figured that the additional bindings would be for either Ruby,
Python, or PHP, but if there's a volunteer available, I'll go with their
preference.

My boss at the company I've just started work for, Eventful, understands that
writing additional bindings is important for the project, but it's hard to
justify the solo hours when we're mainly a Perl shop and wouldn't benefit
directly.  If there's someone else doing work, though, it's easy for me to
justify supporting them.

Marvin Humphrey
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: lucy is gone?

Posted by Jason Dusek <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucy is gone?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: lucy is gone?

Posted by Jason Dusek <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucy is gone?

Posted by Nathan Kurz <na...@verse.com>.
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Jason Dusek <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I guess Lucy isn't being worked on any more?

No, it's alive and well.  Lucy is the designated successor of
KinoSearch, and development is going strong  Marvin just got a
full-time job involving development  work on Lucy, so once he gets
settled in there should be a flurry of activity.  It's the quiet
before the storm --- in a good way!

Nathan Kurz
nate@verse.com

ps.  There was also a server crash just before Marvin's move, which
took down the KinoSearch mailing lists.  I presume they'll be back up
once things settle down.