Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> on 2004/07/22 19:02:35 UTC

rename Apache::Cookie::Jar Apache::Jar

AFAICT Apache::Jar isn't used by any other
packages, and I don't think dropping "Cookie"
from the package name will confuse anybody.
In fact it'd more closely parallel the
relationship between Apache::Request and
Apache::Upload, and it saves on typing:

  old API

  my $jar = Apache::Cookie->fetch;        #apreq1
  my $jar = Apache::Cookie::Jar->new($r); #current
  my $jar = Apache::Jar->new($r);         #proposed

IMO brevity should carry the day, but
we first need to agree before asking
permission to take the Apache::Jar
namespace.

Thoughts?
--
Joe Schaefer

Re: rename Apache::Cookie::Jar Apache::Jar

Posted by Boris Zentner <bz...@2bz.de>.
Hi,

Am Donnerstag 22 Juli 2004 19:02 schrieb Joe Schaefer:
> AFAICT Apache::Jar isn't used by any other
> packages, and I don't think dropping "Cookie"
> from the package name will confuse anybody.

I find it confusing. Apache::Cookie::Jar is pretty much self explained.
Apache::Jar hmm, means nothing to me.

> In fact it'd more closely parallel the
> relationship between Apache::Request and
> Apache::Upload, and it saves on typing:
>
>   old API
>
>   my $jar = Apache::Cookie->fetch;        #apreq1
>   my $jar = Apache::Cookie::Jar->new($r); #current
>   my $jar = Apache::Jar->new($r);         #proposed
>
> IMO brevity should carry the day, but
> we first need to agree before asking
> permission to take the Apache::Jar
> namespace.
>
> Thoughts?

Please not.

--
Boris

Re: rename Apache::Cookie::Jar Apache::Jar

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
"Edward J. Sabol" <sa...@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> > IMO brevity should carry the day, but we first need to agree before
> > asking permission to take the Apache::Jar namespace.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Not that I have any say in the matter,

No need to discount your opinion.  This is something
that affects users, not developers, so IMO it counts as
much as anyone else's.

> but Apache::Cookie::Jar has a certain aesthetic quality to its naming
> that Apache::Jar completely and utterly lacks. Coolness beats brevity
> in my book.

Ok.  Just to point out something else that reduces the
value of "brevity" here, is that the jar is usually only
going to be created once per module.  So people probably
aren't going to have to type Apache::Cookie::Jar very much.
It may just be that the poor schleps writing the all API
docs and tests are getting tired of typing it :-).

Posted by "Edward J. Sabol" <sa...@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov>.
> IMO brevity should carry the day, but we first need to agree before
> asking permission to take the Apache::Jar namespace.
>
> Thoughts?

Not that I have any say in the matter, but Apache::Cookie::Jar has a certain