Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Halcyon62 ." <ha...@hotmail.com> on 2004/03/18 22:32:19 UTC

Automatic authentication when accessing a servlet ?????????

Hi

Is it possible to incorporate the j_username & j_password (used by the
servlet "j_security_check") in the request to authenticate the caller and
then, grant access to the servlet that i am trying to access ?????

I explain the context:

I have a servlet that allows the caller to download of log files. I can
download these logs using my browser, enter the address and then select the
log I want.

Now, I want to get these log automatically. I built an external component to
perform that (it's a requirement i have). The external component builds the
HTTP request and sends it to Tomcat. If the security constraint it commented
out, it works perfectely. But if the security constraint is on, it does not
work because Tomcat is trying to popup a login page, waiting for username &
password.

Then, is it possible to incorporate the j_username & j_password (used by the

Re: Automatic authentication when accessing a servlet ?????????

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Is this for a few users or a bunch?

If it is a few users then HTTPS Client authentication may work.

But more likely what will fit your plan is to use form authentication. If
you are getting a prompt for name and password then you are using basic
authentication. See SRV .12.5 in the Servlet 2.4 spec. For examples the TC
manager uses basic where the admin uses form.

Doug
www.parsonstechnical.com