Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> on 2011/08/01 10:28:17 UTC

Site deployment

Hi,

We need to discuss the way we deploy web sites:

1. Via svn (commit in www project, and update on server).
2. Via svn (commit in www project, and automatically visible via svnpubsub).
3. Via scp (with file permissions issues...)
4. Via mvn site-deploy

I understand there is a consensus for option 4 (mvn site-deploy).

Can you confirm?

Please also read for later evolutions:
https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/the_asf_cms
http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html

Thx.
--
Eric Charles
http://about.echarles.net

Re: Site deployment

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:

<snip>

> b) change mvn site-deploy to be able to deploy to svn instead via scp
> and then use svnpubsub to export the svn content to people.a.o.

:-)

Robert

Re: Site deployment

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
2011/8/1 Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Am 01.08.2011 10:28, schrieb Eric Charles:
>>>
>>> o discuss the way we deploy web sites:
>>>
>>> 1. Via svn (commit in www project, and update on server).
>>> 2. Via svn (commit in www project, and automatically visible via
>>> svnpubsub).
>>> 3. Via scp (with file permissions issues...)
>>> 4. Via mvn site-deploy
>>>
>>> I understand there is a consensus for option 4 (mvn site-deploy).
>>>
>>> Can you confirm?
>>
>> 4) +1
>
> I'd prefer 5) mvn site-deploy via svnpubsub but I don't think this is
> possible (yet)

Curiosity: what do you mean?
a) automatically run "mvn site-deploy" whenever a commit is made in
our svn sources
b) change mvn site-deploy to be able to deploy to svn instead via scp
and then use svnpubsub to export the svn content to people.a.o.

Stefano

Re: Site deployment

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Site deployment

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am 01.08.2011 10:28, schrieb Eric Charles:
> o discuss the way we deploy web sites:
>
> 1. Via svn (commit in www project, and update on server).
> 2. Via svn (commit in www project, and automatically visible via
> svnpubsub).
> 3. Via scp (with file permissions issues...)
> 4. Via mvn site-deploy
>
> I understand there is a consensus for option 4 (mvn site-deploy).
>
> Can you confirm?

4) +1

Norman

Re: Site deployment

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
2011/8/1 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
> Hi,
>
> We need to discuss the way we deploy web sites:
>
> 1. Via svn (commit in www project, and update on server).
> 2. Via svn (commit in www project, and automatically visible via svnpubsub).
> 3. Via scp (with file permissions issues...)
> 4. Via mvn site-deploy
>
> I understand there is a consensus for option 4 (mvn site-deploy).
>
> Can you confirm?

Yes, #4 is my preferred solution, and in future we could even automate
the site-deploy task from hudson. Also, site-deploy already takes care
to update file permissions (this happens only when the site deploy
task is completely successfull, so remember to take a look at the
server perms manually if you can't successfully complete the
site-deploy task)

#1 and #2 are a waste of time for us and resources for ASF (svn space
used by website updates is a lot and we don't need change tracking on
that stuff).
#3 is similar to #4 (#4 uses scp under the hood) but with less
automation: I don't see many advantages in "mvn site && scp something"
instead of "mvn site-deploy" (the main advantage of scp would be local
review and selective copy, but I think we should try to avoid
selective publishing)

> Please also read for later evolutions:
> https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/the_asf_cms
> http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html

As long as we use maven sites we can ignore this. I didn't hear too
much about this: which TLP already moved?
I'm in favor of using a CMS for documentation instead of maven (or
maybe a mix of the two) because I find maven site maintenaince is slow
compared to a wiki or a web-based cms.
I really don't like the fact that the "asf cms" needs SVN to update it
(is this true?): then we would be stuck again to a development
environment.
I would very strongly prefer a real web based CMS so that we can
update the website/docs whenever we have some minutes and some web
access.

Stefano