Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2020/11/04 19:05:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] Planning the 1.12 release testing

Hi all,

We are soon approaching the feature freeze of the 1.12 release. I would
like to make the stabilization phase as short as possible, so that we can
release in a timely manner.
One important aspect of making the stabilization phase short is knowing all
the major bugs.

For testing Flink in a coordinated way, and to allow the broader community
to participate in the testing more easily, I've created a wiki page to
collect testing tasks:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/1.12+Release+-+Community+Testing

If you have implemented a new feature, or you've changed something that
needs testing, please put down a reference to your change, or testing
instructions.

Once the first release candidate is published on Monday next week, I'll
tweet about the Wiki page and send a message to the user@ list to get help
by the community!

Best,
Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Planning the 1.12 release testing

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
This is a fair point.
I would recommend people to put instructions into the Wiki, or ask here if
something is unclear!

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

We've just published the first release candidate for Flink 1.12. This means
we can start with the testing efforts!

Let's use the Wiki page to coordinate our testing efforts.

*As a tester,* please pick a topic from the table, and put your name into
the "Tested by" column, including the current status (in progress, done).
Report usability issues to the respective component, and link it from the
Wiki.
Blocker issues justifying the creation of a new RC should be reported in
the RC1 thread.

*As a feature author or component maintainer*, please make sure that
everything that got changed in this release or should be tested, and isn't
sufficiently covered by e2e tests is in the table.
Also, please keep an eye on all the blockers and critical bugs here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=406&projectKey=FLINK.
We currently have 40 open tickets. I will make a pass over our tickets soon
to see if everything is up to date.

Thanks a lot for your help! I will also send out a tweet to ask the wider
community for help!

Best,
Robert