Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Bharath Vissapragada <bh...@cloudera.com> on 2016/09/06 01:27:42 UTC

Jira move to apache - Inputs required

Hello folks and mentors,

As a part of Impala's transition to ASF I'm working
<https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-3224> on moving the existing
jira infra from cloudera.org to issues.apache.org. As a part of this move,
we need to map the content from existing jira instance to the one in
apache. This requires mapping the user names between these instances.
Recently I've sent out a form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe_pa17Swc1y4nJZvoFJ3Wek10hFbxPenWnWDkBvHS-6P1Cww/viewform?c=0&w=1>
for the users to submit this mapping. I only received responses from ~30
people so far.

Running some analysis on the current jira dump, we have the following stats.

(1) A total of ~750  users
(2) Out of these ~750 users, ~40 users have no kind of activity in the
jira. This activity includes creating/assignees/watching/commenting on the
jiras.
(3) Out of the remaining ~750 users, ~250 people are just watchers for
jiras and do not have any other kind of activity.

Excluding just watchers, we have ~500 registered users with any kind of
real activity on the jira. Excluding the ~30 users who filled the above
form, we have ~470 people with some kind of activity which will lost in the
transition if no user mapping is provided.  Unfortunately this list is too
big to list to do any kind of manual verification and adding the entries
myself after verifying their apache ids.

Do you have any inputs on what can be done with these un-mapped users? We
have the following options

(a)  Create a dummy user and attribute all the content from these unmapped
users activity to it.

(b) Create a new jira id for these unmapped users. Lets stay if the user id
is john, we create john_impala (or something similar) by appending a random
string so that we don't map the content incorrectly to a user with similar
name on the apache jira.

I'm inclined towards (b) as it saves the user activity somewhere and can be
recovered by the users by providing the email id and resetting the password
if they are really interested in it. However it is unclear if they can
export it and import into their existing apache account if required and
hence not really sure if it will be of any use.

Mentors or committers or fellow devs, do you have any preferences on what
can be done in this case?

Re: Jira move to apache - Inputs required

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@cloudera.com>.
I chatted with Bharath offline last week and gave him all the details (and
scripts) that we used for the Kudu JIRA migration, as well as my own ideas
about how this could be done. I'm happy to help further, just reach out if
you need anything.

Mike

--
Mike Percy