Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Amanda Moran <am...@esgyn.com> on 2015/10/20 19:56:41 UTC

Automatic restart of Cloudera/Hortonworks in Installer

Hi there All-

Currently, in the installer we automatically restart Cloudera or
Hortonworks after new HBase/HDFS/Zookeeper configs are added and our
hbase-trx*.jar file is copied into the HBase directory.

Should this still be done automatically? In the past, the installer asked
the user to go restart by hand... and received a lot of negative feedback
on that.

Should the installer prompt the user if they would like to restart, stay as
is, or not even attempt to restart and wait for the user to do by hand?

Thank you!

Amanda Moran

RE: Automatic restart of Cloudera/Hortonworks in Installer

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.
Hi,

I have an automation bias, but I prefer current behavior.

If this is changed to prompt, an option is needed to do it automatically as
it currently does.  Maybe an option that does not restart would be better,
and let current behavior be default?

--Steve

Posted by "D. Markt" <dm...@gmail.com>.
  Yes, then given Cloudera/HDP must be restarted then an option to opt out is appropriate and given your nice new video describing how to automate the installation an option to not do the Cloudera/HDP restart or the Trafodion start makes sense.  That is, an operator might be tasked with doing the install and would prefer to use the automated method and then later someone else would both restart Cloudera/Hortonworks and start Trafodion.  Certainly I like what we already have but if adding this option isn't too much effort and doesn't change the flow too much, then it might have a use case.  We just need to make sure the user doesn't circumvent the restart and then have to ponder why Trafodion won't start up given the restart is a known requirement.

Thanks,
Dennis

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.
Hi,

Steve makes a good point about automation, it is important that we have an
option to make the restart automatic - and also suppress all the other
questions the installer asks. However, as long as we humans still call the
shots, the machine should have to give that option and not the human.
Machines are less likely to forget...

Thanks,

Hans

Posted by Amanda Moran <am...@esgyn.com>.