Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Andre Anneck <an...@spmtechnologies.com> on 2003/09/09 08:23:16 UTC

Release Process...

Hi dev-team,

in order to circumvent such conflicts I recommend using CVS branches (early branching):
1. Announce Code-Freeze
2. Open branch RC_0-5
=> Now people can continue work on MAIN, without interference of the release branch
3. Start tagging inside the branch to test release candidates (Maybe Tag-Names == Jira Release-Names)
=> Bugs fixed in release branch need merge into MAIN branch, ok thats the overhead work you have using this approach
4. Once satisfied with stability of RC_05, do the final TAG and produce the release artifacts.

Just my 2EUR's ;),

Take care,

André
_________________________________
Software Development

Andre Anneck
Tel +49 30 55115-305
Fax +49 30 55115-143
andre.anneck@spmtechnologies.com

SPM Technologies Deutschland GmbH
An den Treptowers 1
12435 Berlin, Germany

www.spmtechnologies.com

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Andre,

You would have the same issue if just before Code-Freeze someone added a
   controversial piece of code, on that case you will have to decide if
you want to revert it or not.

With 4 commiter active this seems to be a bit over head, I like the idea
of code freeze, we only need to have in mind when there is a release and
concentrate on bug fixes rather than on new features.

Say that we want to release around every 8 weeks on the 7th week we ask
ourselves to commit only bug fixes/ minor changes, that would be enough.

Thanks for your 2 Euro cents.

Cheche

Re: Release Process...

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Andre Anneck wrote:

> Hi dev-team,
>
> in order to circumvent such conflicts I recommend using CVS branches (early branching):
> 1. Announce Code-Freeze
> 2. Open branch RC_0-5
> => Now people can continue work on MAIN, without interference of the release branch
> 3. Start tagging inside the branch to test release candidates (Maybe Tag-Names == Jira Release-Names)
> => Bugs fixed in release branch need merge into MAIN branch, ok thats the overhead work you have using this approach
> 4. Once satisfied with stability of RC_05, do the final TAG and produce the release artifacts.

+1

For now we can simply revert the last changes and release from that, but
next time I propose we follow this process.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -