Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by "Robert D. Morse" <rm...@mdesignz.com> on 2001/12/28 17:48:49 UTC

Optional Table Tag in Torque

It would be helpful if there were an "options" tag for tables that would
allow the inclusion of database table directives.  For example:  In Oracle,
you can specify Tablespace and storage directives:

CREATE TABLE foo
(a	varchar2(10),
b	varchar2(20)
TABLESPACE bar
STORAGE(INITIAL 10M NEXT 10M MINEXTENTS 2 MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED);

Not sure if this is the proper forum or protocol to use for
suggestions/enhancements.  Let me know.  Thanks to whoever added the
"description" tag!

RE: Optional Table Tag in Torque

Posted by "Robert D. Morse" <rm...@mdesignz.com>.
What makes it dependent on the db?  If a particular target doesn't support
the directive, it ignores it.  You end up designing for the lowest common
denominator if you can't exploit options that are available on some
platforms.  But since you don't like that idea, how about preserving any
added text to the xxx-schema.sql file instead of overwriting it each time?

Have I tried the doc task?  Yes.  Pretty nice.

> It would be helpful if there were an "options" tag for tables that would
> allow the inclusion of database table directives.  For example:  In
Oracle,
> you can specify Tablespace and storage directives:
>
> CREATE TABLE foo
> (a	varchar2(10),
> b	varchar2(20)
> TABLESPACE bar
> STORAGE(INITIAL 10M NEXT 10M MINEXTENTS 2 MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED);

the schema.xml file should be independent from any db to make it possible to
switch the db by
regenerating the sql and the om-classes ... so i don't like the idea ...

> Not sure if this is the proper forum or protocol to use for
> suggestions/enhancements.  Let me know.  Thanks to whoever added the
> "description" tag!

have you tried the DocumentationTask???

martin

Re: Optional Table Tag in Torque