Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Stanislav Sinyagin <ss...@yahoo.com> on 2008/09/04 23:23:27 UTC

autconf dependency and dist snapshot

hi all,

I'm excited to find your project, and I'm thinking to use
Thrift for my new development initiative.

There's one problem though: Thrift snapshot requires autoconf-2.60
or higher, and my development machine is CentOS 5.0, which does not have
an easy option for newer autoconf. I think that's not the only OS
distribution suffering from this.

The easy way to ease the early users' life is to publish the result of
"make dist", instead of just the SVN snapshot tarball.

The hard way would be to remove 2.60 dependency and make it compatible
with autoconf-2.59.

By the way, in configure.ac you've got AC_PREREQ(2.59).

The project in my mind is a new generation of Torrus (http://torrus.org/).
The design goals and early requirements are described in
http://torrus.org/Torrus_2.0_Design_Concept.pdf

cheers,
stan

Re: autconf dependency and dist snapshot

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
I just built on CentOS without trouble.  There were a lot of
error messages from autoconf, but it appeared to work anyway.
I've updated the wiki to reflect this.

--David