Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Anil Vijendran <an...@sun.com> on 2002/10/24 21:23:35 UTC

Xerces dependency

Hi,

It appears from the FAQ that the signatures library depends on Xerces
specific features. I have a DOM implementation which is different from
the one in Xerces and I would like the signatures library to work with
my DOM implementation (which in theory is more optimized etc).

Can someone explain clearly what the exact dependencies are on Xerces
specific APIs?

Thanks.

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)

Re: Xerces dependency

Posted by Christian Geuer-Pollmann <ge...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>.

Yes. Simply speaking, you usually can only use IDs only after a validating
parsing. So when you create a DOM document from scratch, it's impossible
that URI="#foo" works as it's not parsed.

In org.apache.xml.security.utils.IdResolver, you'll find a method

public static void registerElementById(Element element, String idValue);

where the Xerces-dependent code is:

((org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl)doc).putIdentifier(idValue,element);

So if you substitute this with another mechanism, you don't need Xerces.
Well, I'm not sure, maybe Xalan only works on Xerces, you have to check
this.

Christian

--On Donnerstag, 24. Oktober 2002 12:23 -0700 Anil Vijendran