Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Martin Alderson <Ma...@salfordsoftware.co.uk> on 2009/10/29 17:30:48 UTC

[Studio] Debugging in eclipse

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to take a more in-depth look at studio.  I have the code loaded in eclipse and it seems to build ok, but how do I launch an instance from eclipse so I can debug it?

The developers guide on the site talks about starting the studio plugins in a runtime environment [1].  I don't really understand that but the instructions don't seem to be valid - there is no "Studio Runtime" in the "Run Configurations" dialog box.

Thanks,

Martin

[1] http://directory.apache.org/studio/working.html

RE: [Studio] Debugging in eclipse

Posted by Martin Alderson <Ma...@salfordsoftware.co.uk>.
> > The developers guide on the site talks about starting the studio
> plugins in a runtime environment [1].  I don't really understand that
> but the instructions don't seem to be valid - there is no "Studio
> Runtime" in the "Run Configurations" dialog box.
>
> This means that you start another eclipse (which contains all
> additional
> plugins in your workspace) from within your main eclipse instance.
>
> Have you imported all projects into your eclipse workspace? The "rcp"
> project contains a "Studio-Runtime.launch" file. This lauch file should
> automatically create a launch configuration in the "Run Configuration"
> dialog, below "Eclipse Application" section.

Thanks Stefan!  It was there all along.

The "Eclipse Application" node was collapsed, hiding "Studio-Runtime" but I couldn't tell as Windows 7 hides the expand/collapse tree widgets until the tree has focus :(

I knew that was going to catch me out sooner or later.  I want my always visible + and - tree expansion widgets back!

Thanks,

Martin

Re: [Studio] Debugging in eclipse

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Martin Alderson schrieb:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm hoping to take a more in-depth look at studio.  I have the code loaded in eclipse and it seems to build ok, but how do I launch an instance from eclipse so I can debug it?

Cool :-)

> The developers guide on the site talks about starting the studio plugins in a runtime environment [1].  I don't really understand that but the instructions don't seem to be valid - there is no "Studio Runtime" in the "Run Configurations" dialog box.

This means that you start another eclipse (which contains all additional
plugins in your workspace) from within your main eclipse instance.

Have you imported all projects into your eclipse workspace? The "rcp"
project contains a "Studio-Runtime.launch" file. This lauch file should
automatically create a launch configuration in the "Run Configuration"
dialog, below "Eclipse Application" section.

Kind Regards,
Stefan