Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Sathya Sekar <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/11 07:15:18 UTC

Upgrading between milestone versions

Hi,

We had installed ApacheDS version 2.0-M10 on our Red Hat Linux staging
environment and have been using it for the past few months. We ran into an
issue recently which per release notes has been fixed in the latest
version, 2.0-M15. We would hence like to move to this new version.

Is there a documented upgrade process for upgrading from one ApacheDS
milestone version to another? "Upgrading" is important as we want to ensure
that we retain all existing data with the upgrade.

Appreciate any help/pointers.

Thanks.

Re: Upgrading between milestone versions

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Sathya Sekar <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We had installed ApacheDS version 2.0-M10 on our Red Hat Linux staging
> environment and have been using it for the past few months. We ran into an
> issue recently which per release notes has been fixed in the latest
> version, 2.0-M15. We would hence like to move to this new version.
>
> Is there a documented upgrade process for upgrading from one ApacheDS
> milestone version to another? "Upgrading" is important as we want to ensure
> that we retain all existing data with the upgrade.
>
> there were a couple of config option changes between the versions M10 and
M15

hence I would suggest you to follow this process in a dev/qa environment
first:

1. backup the data as LDIF files
2. install new version of the server
3. apply the configuration changes (DO NOT import the config.ldif from old
version)
4. *if* you have any custom schemas import them as well
5. restart the server
6. import data and verify
7. if all is good perform above in production

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com