Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2016/07/06 05:53:37 UTC

[VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

This is a vote to release Log4j 2.6.2, the next version of the Log4j 2 project.

Please download, test, and cast your votes on the log4j developers list.
[] +1, release the artifacts
[] -1, don't release because...

The vote will remain open for 72 hours (or more if required). All votes are welcome and we encourage everyone to test the release, but only Logging PMC votes are “officially” counted. As always, at least 3 +1 votes and more positive than negative votes are required.
Changes in this version include:
New features:
o LOG4J2-1395:  Add "direct" option to ConsoleAppender for increased performance.
o LOG4J2-1437:  (GC) ObjectMessage and ReusableObjectMessage now avoid calling toString() on auto-boxed primitive parameters.
o LOG4J2-1415:  (GC) ParameterFormatter now avoids calling toString() on auto-boxed primitive message parameters.
o LOG4J2-1412:  Unbox utility's ringbuffer of StringBuilders is now configurable.

Fixed Bugs:
o LOG4J2-1414:  Fixed minor issues with the 2.6.1 web site. Thanks to Ralph Goers.
o LOG4J2-1434:  Ensure that the thread-local StringBuilders used by Layouts to format log events to text will not
        retain excessive memory after a large message was logged. Thanks to Luke Butters.
o LOG4J2-1418:  Provide MessageFactory2 to custom Logger implementations.
o LOG4J2-1420:  RollingRandomAccessFileManager was not properly rolling over on startup and was getting a NullPointerException.
o LOG4J2-1417:  Fixed issue where Unbox utility ignored the value Constants.ENABLE_THREADLOCALS and always stored non-JDK classes in ThreadLocals.
o LOG4J2-1422:  Fixed issue where AsyncAppenderQueueFullPolicyTest sometimes hangs.
o LOG4J2-1445:  OnStartupTriggeringPolicyTest fails on Windows saying the file is used by another process. Thanks to Ludovic HOCHET.

Changes:
o LOG4J2-1432:  Update Jackson from 2.7.4 to 2.7.5.
o LOG4J2-1433:  Update Jansi from 1.11 to 1.13.
o LOG4J2-1444:  Update Apache Commons Compress from 1.11 to 1.12.
Tag:

a)  for a new copy do "git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/logging-log4j2.git <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/logging-log4j2.git>" and then "git checkout tags/log4j-2.6.2-rc1”
b) for an existing working copy to “git pull” and then “git checkout tags/log4j-2.6.2-rc1”
Web Site:  <http://rgoers.github.io/log4j2-site/index.html>http://rgoers.github.io/log4j2-site/index.html <http://rgoers.github.io/log4j2-site/index.html>

Artifacts: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1020 <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1020>

You may download all the artifacts by executing:
wget -e robots=off --cut-dirs=7 -nH -r -p -np --no-check-certificate https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1020/org/apache/logging/log4j/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1020/org/apache/logging/log4j/>
Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
+1
Remko

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
+1

Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Even with that I am +1 (because the Clirr break is in a util package and it
would be unusual to instantiate this class)

From src zip distro, MD5, SHA1, ASC OK.

RAT and Clirr checks OK.

Building jars OK, running tests OK.

Building site is OK.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

[VOTE][RESULT] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The vote has passed with binding +1 votes from Mikael Ståldal, Matt Sicker, Gary Gregory, Remko Popma, and Ralph Goers. Leon Finker also voted +1. There were no other votes.

Thanks to all who voted.

I will be continuing the release process today.

Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Is the JIRA report page ever going to be useful?
https://rgoers.github.io/log4j2-site/jira-report.html

Or could we just remove it in favor of the manual changelog?

* Site and docs look good.
* GPG keys file imports properly (I've seen some projects fail on that and
still haven't noticed).
* Digging the new legacy sections.
* Tested with a real world application, compiles and functions as before
just fine.
* I'm glad I cd'd to /tmp before I ran that wget command as it spewed files
everywhere!
* All the .asc files match up with their respective artifacts (i.e.,
verified signatures).
* Tag builds and passes tests (JDK8, MacOS 10.11.5).

+1

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 7, 2016 3:29 AM, "Mikael Ståldal" <mi...@magine.com> wrote:

> Now I see that the latest (post 2.6.2) addition lacks type as well:
>
>       <action issue="LOG4J2-1458" dev="ggregory">
>         Update Jackson from 2.7.5 to 2.8.0.
>       </action>

My bad, I'll fix that today.

Gary

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 8:03 AM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

>> The web site is corrected. It had the 4 items but with an odd icon.
I’ve updated changes.xml and RELEASE_NOTES.txt. While they won’t be in the
release distribution RELEASE_NOTES.txt is used for the announcement email.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Leon Finker <le...@gmail.com>.
Tested, no issues observed.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Yes, it should be fixed.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.
OK, +1

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.6.2 rc1

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: Start configuration snippet for log4j2.properties?

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Agree with everything said here.
Also, just wanted to point out that I wouldn't object if people want to upvote my answers. Don't mind that at all. :-)

Remko

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Incidentally YAML feels more modern and user friendly, but it seems like a lot of the current articles focus on the XML format.  I think the YAML support is a big plus.  There's a nice comparison of the two formats for log4j2 here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28101903/what-is-a-sample-default-config-file-in-yaml-for-log4j2

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.