Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Brian Bouterse <bm...@ncsu.edu> on 2009/03/04 18:05:32 UTC

DHCP configuration for VCL

In our VCL, our dhcpd.conf contains the following two lines:

                 option routers                 10.0.0.1;
                 option subnet-mask              255.255.0.0;
                 option nis-domain               "NA";
                 option domain-name              "vcl.internal";
                 option domain-name-servers     10.0.0.1;

These following two lines below were causing trouble for us, so we
commented them out.  Is there any reason to have the following lines
in a VCL configuration?

option routers                 10.0.0.1;
option domain-name-servers     10.0.0.1;

Does anyone know if other parts of VCL rely on DHCP to tell it's DHCP
clients that 10.0.0.1 (our VCL management interface) will resolve DNS
and act as a router for them?  It makes sense to me to comment these
out since in reality VCL won't resolve DNS nor forward packets through
it's 10.0.0.1 interface.

Best,
Brian

Brian Bouterse
Secure Open Systems Initiative
919.698.8796

Re: DHCP configuration for VCL

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.

As long the node gets an address and the vcld / management node can talk to
that node - then your set. Beyond that, just need to make sure the OS on
the node is routed correctly for public traffic.

So if commenting those out works for your setup then it's fine - I can't
foresee any issues.

Aaron

--On March 4, 2009 12:05:32 PM -0500 Brian Bouterse <bm...@ncsu.edu>
wrote:

> In our VCL, our dhcpd.conf contains the following two lines:
>
>                  option routers                 10.0.0.1;
>                  option subnet-mask              255.255.0.0;
>                  option nis-domain               "NA";
>                  option domain-name              "vcl.internal";
>                  option domain-name-servers     10.0.0.1;
>
> These following two lines below were causing trouble for us, so we
> commented them out.  Is there any reason to have the following lines in a
> VCL configuration?
>
> option routers                 10.0.0.1;
> option domain-name-servers     10.0.0.1;
>
> Does anyone know if other parts of VCL rely on DHCP to tell it's DHCP
> clients that 10.0.0.1 (our VCL management interface) will resolve DNS and
> act as a router for them?  It makes sense to me to comment these out
> since in reality VCL won't resolve DNS nor forward packets through it's
> 10.0.0.1 interface.
>
> Best,
> Brian
>

> Brian Bouterse