Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/09 08:47:07 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Hop (incubating) 0.99-rc1

Hi All,

This will be our preview 1.0 release, this release contains both the source
code and binary to run the client. This will also be our first release
without DISCLAIMER-WIP but the regular disclaimer.

This release aims to get as much feedback as possible so we can remove some
final bugs before releasing 1.0.

Build instructions can be found in the README included.

Hop community vote and result threads:
Vote:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ra0cb8d9286e3cabf3348f3544a6dc0e60dcdd87a58918a7c1a413d36%40%3Cdev.hop.apache.org%3E
Result:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ra6e1e447f5611bea927e8b41558d5ff790e8475e8e44629b7e872a14%40%3Cdev.hop.apache.org%3E

The tag to be voted on is 0.99-rc1 (commit a29e5a7)
https://github.com/apache/incubator-hop/tree/0.99-rc1

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/hop/apache-hop-0.99-incubating-rc1/

The SHA512 Checksum for these artifacts is:
code:
ab62b90b311097fde622884cbcd3c67ccec75cfe0be2c70c7dd773528f34290994a0c3a166a1cecb04a5342d5eccb6953f258b87c0497e90e2ffd2c5f31723a3

client:
99f28e78d4795c19ae686094bcef6e75e875fcd213c967c868108afcf3fc0bcd83a268e2566aee122ae74c0dc54cffdd1a7e43bfcf7fcf23f3dda50487d5b644

https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9a8a628dd4f4aa1e

For more information about the contents of this release, see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/HOP/versions/12350036

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Hop (incubating) 0.99!

The vote is open for 72 hours and passes if
a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Hop (incubating) 0.99
[ ] +0 No opinion

Best Regards,
Hans

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hop (incubating) 0.99-rc1

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.
As you know, originally there were essentially 2 different options for us
during this incubation when dealing with the existing codebase:
1) Get the code donated, granted, however you want to call it.
Unfortunately nobody could be found to even decide on this issue for all
sorts of reasons that are not very positive but recognizable when original
developers stop working on the codebase (fired, left, ...).
2) Perform a substantial amount of changes to the original codebase.  In
retrospect this was something that needed to be done anyway since the
codebase is around 20 years old.  But essentially that is the route that
was taken.  It's actually pretty much all we've been doing: writing new
tools, GUI, re-writing code, replacing code, changing APIs and so on.

This process was reviewed and obviously completed as part of our
acceptance into the incubation process.  It involved not hundreds but
thousands of files Justin.  Nothing survived the refactoring onslaught but
obviously bits and pieces will be recognizable.  It is what it is.

Now that being said, we do have permissions from a few developers regarding
the inclusion of their code.  We'll see about getting a more formal SGA
there.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.

--
Neo4j Chief Solutions Architect
*✉   *matt.casters@neo4j.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hop (incubating) 0.99-rc1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.
Just a final note on the "foreign code" problem.  It's literally impossible
to now simply include anything from the original source code.  The codebase
and API of Apace Hop have drifted so far away from where we once were that
for new feature requests (like for example the recent addition of Parquet
File Input/Ouput transforms) it's simply useless to even look at any
existing code.  It's just faster to write new functionality, also because
the API is much simpler and cleaner now.
The Simple SQL Parser that was included recently and where we had the one
file with incorrect header was included for completeness sake but it was
the notable exception I think.  But even that code needed refactoring,
cleanup and actually quite a bit of work to port over.  I'd be happy to
throw that code back out if anyone feels it's needed.  In this discussion I
just haven't seen a real reason for it though.  I guess I just don't
understand the issue.

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Matt Casters (i-Bridge)" <ma...@ibridge.be>.
For me I think it's been too frustrating because of a lack of vacation and
the whole pandemic, more than the technical issues.
In the end, this is not that big of a deal I think:
1) add an option through an environment variable like
HOP_LICENSE_HEADER_FILE
2) create a file with the ASF header in it somewhere under
integration-tests/
3) remove .hpl/.hwf from the RAT exclusions
4) Configure the integration test hop-config.json files to point the
variable to the header file.

I couldn't figure out how to update the copyright in Idea for .hpl/.hwf
files but I'm sure a global first replace should do the trick here.

The issue of the old XML and metadata Injection API still being around as
we push towards 1.0 is still around though.  It's nagging in the back of my
mind.  I would still love to hear your opinions about it.

Cheers,
Matt

Posted by Bart Maertens <ba...@know.bi>.
Hi,

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Bart Maertens <ba...@know.bi>.
Hi,

What Matt was pointing at is to include a <license> (or <copyright>, but
let's forget about that for now) element in the XML documents that the hpl
and hwf files are.

We could do this by including an option in Hop Gui (our visual IDE that
generates the hpl and hwf files) to include the ASF header for the
integration test and sample hpl and hwf files.

Outside of our code repository, users could use that functionality to
include their own header or copyright to the hpl and hwf files they create.
Those files would never end up in our repository, so that is out of scope
for this discussion.

Regards,
Bart

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.
Let's set the past aside for a moment.  The last thing I want is to make
this in any way personal.  I have nothing but appreciation for everything
you've all done for our project.

So what this comes down to is that we need to engineer our way out of the
fact that Hop pipeline and workflow files (.hpl/.hwf) are both user and
developer generated.
We also have plans to move from XML to JSON (or other file formats) in the
(near) future.  I don't disagree with Justin on the fact that we want to
express that the unit test files are part of an ASF body of work.  There is
the added problem of the fact that these very users and developers almost
never look at the file content in XML format hiding the ASF header for all
intents and purposes.

So here is a proposal: would it be OK to add an extra "<copyright>" or
"<license>" field in the contents of the XML (and later JSON, ...)?  That
way we can add a feature in the GUI to allow users to actually see and
modify the ASF header content and it would also work for the other file
formats we have in mind.  Adding a feature to set the default ASF in the
GUI would also be quite easy.
This would then move from a problem to a worthy feature addition since this
way Hop users can add their own copyright header to the pipeline and
workflow files they create if they feel like they need to.

Cheers,
Matt

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> That specific unit test can be found here [1]

Thanks for that. I assume the other files there [1] were moved and their headers changed?

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://github.com/pentaho/pdi-dataservice-plugin/tree/master/pdi-dataservice-client/src/test/java/org/pentaho/di/core/sql

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hop (incubating) 0.99-rc1

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

That specific unit test can be found here [1], but we will strip out
everything to move forward.

Kind regards,
Hans

[1]
https://github.com/pentaho/pdi-dataservice-plugin/blob/master/pdi-dataservice-client/src/test/java/org/pentaho/di/core/sql/SQLFieldsUnitTest.java

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

There are more files that have altered headers (though all with apache 2.0
license) and are adapted from the following repository [1], bits and pieces
were used and adapted to our needs, this repository is a module that was
bundled with the original source we started from it has no separate release
and versions though it was not in our initial code import we assumed it was
covered. If we were to list product and version it would point to the same
product/version covered by our initial import. It has no separate
LICENSE/NOTICE file as it was never released standalone.

For the hpl/hwf files, we could add a script to include the header in the
files added to our repository. These files are not man-made but generated
by our application. Compared to OpenOffice for example, these are our
".odf" files. We could have a discussion to add the header to the code that

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,’

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.
Well Justin, these files are typically generated by our software.  It would
not be OK to force the license into all files since that wouldn't be
appropriate and right since we don't force Apache copyright on the work of
others.  Without that possibility we're down to manually editing the files
every time they are created or modified in the slightest.  I don't see that
as a valid option.
So I guess those are good reasons why.
That evaluation was made before.  Now it just feels like one more rule we
have to deal with that just comes out of the blue.

If you (=the wonderful people in this list) really want us to script some
process on Jenkins that force-feeds the header into the .hpl/.hwf files
we'll do so though. It's just a bit frustrating to be honest.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.
We see integration tests as an even more important and integral part of the
source code compared to unit tests since they offer so much more value in
ensuring that functionality and compatibility remain the same when we push
our software forward.  It gives us the freedom to continue progressing in a
safe way.  That is why I think that splitting these tests off into another
repository is a bad idea and the same goes for documentation and the
samples really.  We really want and need to keep everything in sync with
code changes.
We hope to have hundreds of extra .hpl/.hwf files for testing and samples
in the future.
Our mentors in the past thought it was not required to add license headers
for these "user-files" hence their exclusion from the RAT checks.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> It wasn't part of the software grant so we were just following the bundling
> apache licensed 2.0 code route as explained here [1].

See [1] "However, for completeness it is useful to list the products and their versions, as is done for products under other licenses.” Common practice is that you list any ALv2 licensed code in your LICENSE file. Also if the code base if came from has a NOTICE file you may need to alter your NOTICE file as well. Can you point to the code base / repository it come from?

It still seems odd to me that only this one file has come across in this fashion, all of those files in that directory didn’t exist in the previous release where did they come from? Have their headers been altered?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://infra.apache.org/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hop (incubating) 0.99-rc1

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

It wasn't part of the software grant so we were just following the bundling
apache licensed 2.0 code route as explained here [1].
No addition to the LICENSE was needed as the code already was Apache 2
licensed. As the necessary mentions already are in our notice file, no
change was needed there either.
Can you elaborate on what isn't done correctly as described in [1]?

Kind Regards,
Hans

[1] https://infra.apache.org/licensing-howto.html

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

-1 (binding)

This 3rd party file [1] is not mentioned in LICENSE. While this is just one file my concern is that that this may indicate a bigger issue where headers of 3rd party files have been changed.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hash are fine
- LICENSE is missing a mention from a 3rd party file
- No unexpected binary files
- There is quite a number of files without ASF headers I assume it could be added to some of these (e.g. .hpl or .hwf files)
- Didn't compile from source

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. ./core/src/test/java/org/apache/hop/core/sql/SqlFieldsUnitTest.java

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hop (incubating) 0.99-rc1

Posted by fp...@apache.org.
Forwarding my PPMC vote

+1 (binding)

Good job to all the Hop team!

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
+1 ( binding )

I checked the following.

- Incubating in name.

- PGP Signatures.

- SHA512 Checksums.

- DISCLAIMER exists.

- LICENSE and NOTICE are fine.

- Maven Build passes on MacOS. ( Maven - 3.6.3 JAVA - AdoptOpenJDK Java
1.8.0_252 ).

Regards

Kevin

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.