Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by "Andreas Schaefer Sr." <sc...@me.com> on 2015/11/05 17:14:06 UTC

Making Sling Connector in Sling Tooling IDE independent issue

Hi

I create a new issue to make the Sling Connector (anything that checks or deploys resources onto Sling) IDE independent:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5268

When I developed the first draft of the IntelliJ plugin my biggest problem was to incorporate the Sling Connector code into the IntelliJ plugin. There were two main issues I had to deal with: OSGi bundles and Eclipse’s I-classes.

In order to make it easier to create new Sling plugin for other IDEs and to ease the adoption of updates the Sling Connector code should be made IDE independent by Interfaces / Abstract classes.

Cheers - Andy

Re: Making Sling Connector in Sling Tooling IDE independent issue

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Andy,

On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 08:14 -0800, Andreas Schaefer Sr. wrote:
> Hi
>
> I create a new issue to make the Sling Connector (anything that
> checks or deploys resources onto Sling) IDE independent:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5268
>
> When I developed the first draft of the IntelliJ plugin my biggest
> problem was to incorporate the Sling Connector code into the IntelliJ
> plugin. There were two main issues I had to deal with: OSGi bundles
> and Eclipse’s I-classes.
>
> In order to make it easier to create new Sling plugin for other IDEs
> and to ease the adoption of updates the Sling Connector code should
> be made IDE independent by Interfaces / Abstract classes.

I would be happy to make the code as consumable as possible for other
IDEs. I tried to keep the concerns separated as much as possible, but
sometimes that hasn't worked out :-)

And for some things ( e.g. ResourceChangeCommandFactory ) I chose to
make the implementation Eclipse-specific as I had no idea how it would
work for other IDEs.

Let's continue the discussion on the Jira issue, we probably need to
create specific sub-tasks for the individual problems that need to be
fixed.

Cheers,

Robert