Posted to dev@juddi.apache.org by Steve Viens <st...@viens.net> on 2005/02/24 05:45:31 UTC

FW: OASIS and patents: UDDI

FYI (I apologize for the cross-posting)

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Behlendorf [mailto:brian@collab.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:11 PM
To: Steve Viens
Cc: pmc@ws.apache.org; board@apache.org
Subject: Re: OASIS and patents: UDDI

Hi Steve, thanks for the note.

It does appear that, technically, such RF licenses would need to be
sought
in order to be legally clean, but with publication of such a commitment
on
the OASIS site, even if we were "caught" without such royalty-free
licenses in our hands, the patent holders would have a tough time
claiming
damages in any sort of legal action.

The more important issue, though, is that we are essentially committing
our *downstream* users to obtaining licenses to the patents that our
code
implements.  What it means is that instead of saying, "Here's some fine
fresh Apache software under the Apache license, enjoy!" we need to say,
"Here's some fine fresh Apache software under the Apache license, and by

the way to use it legally you need to go to X, Y, and Z and obtain
patent
licenses."  We're also thus hoping that the patent grants made by these
companies are non-revocable; that they don't one day remove the ability
obtain RF licenses from them.

I'm also concerned about the statement further down that page, the
"Notices and Disclaimers for UDDI Specifications for the UDDI Version 2
and 3 Specifications", where it says:

   If the Licensors own any patents or patent applications that may be
   required for implementing and using the specifications contained in
the
   Document in products that comply with the specifications, upon
written
   request, a non-exclusive license under such patents shall be granted
on
   reasonable and non-discriminatory terms.

RAND might not mean "free for Apache-licensed works".

Sigh, I hate the complexity of all this.  It's one reason why we've
resisted allowing riders and other complexity on licensing of Apache
works.  What is sometimes interpreted as dogma is really just a plea for

sanity!  :)

I think the board and membership need to discuss if Apache projects that

implement specifications that require getting a license from third-party

patent holders is acceptable or not.  For now, carry on.

 	Brian

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Steve Viens wrote:
> The UDDI IPR can be found at the URL below. It appears as though we
> *may
> eventually* need to obtain royalty free patent licenses from Oracle,
IBM