Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> on 2014/01/14 09:40:59 UTC

Keynote idea: Revolutionizing Education

I would like to propose another idea for a keynote at ApacheCon, given by Jurriaan Souer who works at PulseOn:

PulseOn is a cloud based web application, built on open source technologies, many of which originating from Apache, that provides students with a personalized, lifelong learning environment. The project was started a couple of years ago with the goal to change the way we educate our children. The school system in The Netherlands, like in many other countries in the world, has not changed significantly over the last century. Children still go through a system that focusses on standard text books and a fixed curriculum. Personal learning styles and preferences are ignored, which means that we are teaching everybody in a sub-optimal way.

With PulseOn we provide a digital environment that leverages current technologies and tracks each student individually, providing them with content that suits their learning style and personal goals. That means that basically, instead of providing standard books, we chop those up into small pieces of content that are assembled dynamically based on the profile of the individual. Furthermore, the system also contains formal and informal tests, that provide us with a good insight into how well the student understands the various pieces of information. The end result is a system with which they can learn more quickly and more efficiently.

Our mission is to maximize human potential through personalized learning, worldwide because we believe that education is the foundation on which society is built. With PulseOn we believe we can contribute to a better world, allowing each learner to become what they are and can be.

The PulseOn platform builds on several key Apache technologies, including Apache Felix to create a modular back-end, Apache Wink for REST support, Apache CXF and ServiceMix to connect to other enterprise applications, Apache ACE for dynamic provisioning of the platform in the cloud and Apache Commons for various utilities. These open source technologies have all been consolidated in an open source platform called Amdatu.

The keynote is not technical, but instead focusses on how this platform helps improve the way we teach our children. As such I think it’s an excellent example of how open source improves our daily lives.

Jurriaan is a Product Manager at PulseOn. He has 15 years of experience in online product development, management, marketing and sales engineering and a Ph.D. in Computing and Information Sciences.

WDYT?

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Keynote idea: Revolutionizing Education

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 7:33 AM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
> ...Both Ross and I know through experience that Academia is a brutal
> place where every thought and concept is fought over purely because it
> exists, not because there is any value in it...

If you replace "thought" with "line of code" that's not so different
from our communities, sometimes ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: Keynote idea: Revolutionizing Education

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 16 January 2014 17:51, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> As someone who has worked in the educational sector I would urge caution on
> this topic. It is highly charged and very divisive (which, with the right
> content and speaker makes for a great Keynote)

Also worked for 10 years in the Higher Ed in just this area, and I can
confirm having given Keynotes that this is a highly charged area, it
is divisive since it deals with the shaping of everyones future and
hopes beyond our own graves. Apache has had a huge impact on that. At
this moment in time there are those that recognise the contribution to
changing education on a global scale. It would be a pity to waste that
opportunity, if it really exists.

Both Ross and I know through experience that Academia is a brutal
place where every thought and concept is fought over purely because it
exists, not because there is any value in it. How online is changing
education forever, for our decedents is something still in its
infancy, something that becomes apparent if you take a look at the
function of Libraries within Education that preserve the knowledge of
100s of years. That makes this a topic with value, a topic worth
fighting over. A topic where you could find a great Keynote.

> I think it is a great topic, but if this is selected I hope we ensure the
> content is about he opportunities presented to education rather than a
> specific solution. As pitched this keynote sounds more like a "our platform
> is great..." rather than a "imagine a world where...". The former is a good
> use case talk, the latter is a good keynote.

+1

Ian

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Bertrand,

On 15 Jan 2014, at 9:21 , Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Marcel Offermans
> <ma...@luminis.nl> wrote:
>> ... The keynote is not technical, but instead focusses on how this platform
>> helps improve the way we teach our children...
>
> I like that - for me the best keynotes are not directly about what we
> do, but help put it in perspective. Looks like this one has the
> potential to do that.

Exactly, this talk is all about the impact of open source technology and how it can completely change education.

>> ...Jurriaan is a Product Manager at PulseOn. He has 15 years of experience
>> in online product development, management, marketing and sales
>> engineering and a Ph.D. in Computing and Information Sciences....
>
> You didn't indicate if he's a great speaker, which is kinda required
> for a keynote ;-)

He is! I thought that was implied. ;)

Scheduled presentations:
- Speaking on stage (twice) at GEPS 2014 (Microsofts Global Education Partner Summit, January - Redmond)
- Presenting at BETT 2014 (London)

Previous presentations, many at conferences - both Scientific and Business.

Presented at and to practice leaders at business conferences:
- Gartner IT Expo, Forrester Marketing Leadership Forum, Gilbane, eMarketing Association,

A selection of scientific presentations at international conferences:
International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Application & Services (iiWAS10), Model Driven Web Engineering (MDWE), International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE), International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Application & Services (iiWAS), IEEE International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM).

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi,
I wonder if one of the leading lights in the MOOC[1] world could be
persuaded to give a keynote. Most lecture for a living so are good at
entertaining and I know some of the initiatives wouldn't exist without
Apache.

Examples of orgs:
https://www.coursera.org/
https://www.coursera.org/about/team

https://www.edx.org/
https://www.edx.org/bios

http://class2go.stanford.edu/  (now merging with edX, but some of the
founders might be interesting)

https://www.udacity.com/
https://www.udacity.com/us#sec4

Dan Clancy, Director of Research @ Google might be willing to key note
in this area.
http://googleresearch.blogspot.ie/2013/09/we-are-joining-open-edx-platform.html

I dont know any of these people personally, but I suspect any platform
on which to speak may interest them.

Best Regards
Ian

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.eu>.
Hello Alex,

Of course. Not all of the information is already available in english, but here you go:

http://www.pulseon.nl/site/en/

If you want to see the application in action, the following (dutch) screencast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzm_Ow9XL5Y

In theory, you can turn on captions and translate them, but you end up with some funny english sentences that way. :)

And here are some (somewhat older) slides about it:

http://www.slideshare.net/__hansb__/adaptive-recommended-learning-april-2012

Greetings, Marcel

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.eu>.