Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by pk_jsp <pk...@mgmmirage.com> on 2007/09/13 23:15:45 UTC

RE: Newbee: Understanding question WebDAV-Protocoll

Hi Miguel,

I was wandering into this list and read this thread in whole.
A very brief introduction: I am using Webdav to programatically (Java) bulk
import text files from local drive into EMC eRoom Server. This line explains
all my environment. I am using Slide client library.

Can you help me in this specific question: By default the lastModified time
of imported file is the current time when it is imported. Can I override
this behaviour and retain the original time from source location.

The 'WebdavFile' class has no such method. But 'WebdavResource' has a method
setGetLastModified but it is protected. I think if I extend it in my custom
class I can achieve this.

Any comments on this.

Re: Newbee: Understanding question WebDAV-Protocoll

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Miguel Figueiredo wrote:
> Hello mate,
>
>  If you need to do change the lastModified time of a resource, I would
> consider that an hacker wish ;)
>  No way you're going to be able to that, especially if you are using the
> client API. You would need to change server behavior, and in a way that the
> server would not follow webdav specification directives. The reason is
> pretty straightforward: webdav specification states that resources have
> "live" and "dead" properties, being the dead properties the ones we can
> PROPPATCH, that is, we can create, update and remove them from the resource.
> The live properties values, like lastModified, creationDate, contentLength,
> contentType, are calculated in real time (maybe stored afterwards) with
> server information. For that reason, they are protected, and can't be
> changed by the user (I'll just copy paste and excerpt from rfc4918):
> "
>    Live Property - A property whose semantics and syntax are enforced by
>    the server.  For example, the live property DAV:getcontentlength has
>    its value, the length of the entity returned by a GET request,
>    automatically calculated by the server.
> "

Well.

This means that a server is *allowed* to reject a request setting
DAV:getlastmodified. But it doesn't have to.

Best regards, Julian

RE: Newbee: Understanding question WebDAV-Protocoll

Posted by Miguel Figueiredo <mf...@maisis.pt>.
Hello mate,

[...]

 I believe that the protected method setGetLastModified purpose is to set
the date value on the local image of a remote resource. So overriding won't
help you on your intention.

 I don't know why you must change lastModified value, but if it is a
business decision, I would suggest you to create a new property for storing
the value that you want (ex: <insert your namespace here>:getLastModified).

Hope this helps,
Miguel Figueiredo