Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Benedikt Pletzer <bp...@gmx.de> on 2006/08/01 15:54:50 UTC

svn lock changes file rights

Hi,

did not find anything about it yet.

I use svn 1.2.3 in a very special situation and therefore need some kind of
Lock-Modify-Unlock Solution.

In detail I have a repository (per https and Basic http auth via an
htpasswd- file) and a !single! checkout of it, everybody is working on. This
is, because the files are mainly html- cms- template files which need to
previewed quite a lot while customizing, and one could not afford to work on
local checkout, since previewing of it is only possible on the server.

Now I thought 'svn lock' is exactly what I need, so I can make sure no two
people are going to work on the same file at the same time, but even give
the later one a comment who is working on what in the file right now.

So far so good. But now comes my problem: The files all need to be owned by
a user, which is mainly the cms- user. So I gave everyone of my customizers
group rights. That looks something like that:

-rw-rw-r--   1 cms-user customizer-group    30 2006-08-01 17:32 bla.tpl

So when I edit the file: user-I@server:/checkout/# vi
<mailto:user-I@server:/checkout/vi%20bla.tpl>  bla.tpl

an later commit the file, everything stays fine.

But to take advantage of the locking-feature I change the rights: chmod
ug-w:

-r--r--r--   1 cms-user customizer-group    30 2006-08-01 17:32 bla.tpl

Now when I use "user-I@server:/checkout/# <mailto:user-I@server:/checkout/#
lock bla.tpl>   lock bla.tpl" the file changes it's owner to me, looking
like that

-rw-r--r--   1 user-I user-I    30 2006-08-01 17:32 bla.tpl

So that I would need to change the owner afterwards manually, which I don't
have the rights!

I hope somebody can help me, despite my bad grammar.

Regards

Benedikt

Re: svn lock changes file rights

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 1, 2006, at 17:54, Benedikt Pletzer wrote:

> I use svn 1.2.3 in a very special situation and therefore need some
> kind of Lock-Modify-Unlock Solution.
>

> In detail I have a repository (per https and Basic http auth via an
> htpasswd- file) and a !single! checkout of it, everybody is working
> on. This is, because the files are mainly html- cms- template files
> which need to previewed quite a lot while customizing, and one
> could not afford to work on local checkout, since previewing of it
> is only possible on the server.

This is not a good idea. Everyone should have their own working copy.
People will step on each other's toes otherwise, and you will lose so
many of the benefits Subversion would otherwise offer you.

In our web development company, we arranged things this way: because
we also want to have only a single development server where we need
to maintain PHP and MySQL and all the other bits we need, and yet we
want everyone to have their own working copies, we store everyone's
working copies on the development server, in the users' respective
home directories. Everyone accesses their working copy over Samba
shares. This can be slow sometimes, but it has worked well enough for
our team of 10 programmers.

> Now I thought ‘svn lock’ is exactly what I need, so I can make sure
> no two people are going to work on the same file at the same time,
> but even give the later one a comment who is working on what in the
> file right now.
>

> So far so good. But now comes my problem: The files all need to be
> owned by a user, which is mainly the cms- user. So I gave everyone
> of my customizers group rights. That looks something like that:
>

> -rw-rw-r--   1 cms-user customizer-group    30 2006-08-01 17:32
> bla.tpl
>

> So when I edit the file: user-I@server:/checkout/# vi bla.tpl
>
> an later commit the file, everything stays fine.
>

> But to take advantage of the locking-feature I change the rights:
> chmod ug-w:
>
> -r--r--r--   1 cms-user customizer-group    30 2006-08-01 17:32
> bla.tpl
>

> Now when I use “user-I@server:/checkout/#  lock bla.tpl” the file
> changes it’s owner to me, looking like that
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 user-I user-I    30 2006-08-01 17:32 bla.tpl
>
> So that I would need to change the owner afterwards manually, which
> I don’t have the rights!

I don't know whether Subversion's locks can be used in this way or if
they can help in this setup. I'd urge you to reconsider your single-
working-copy strategy. It is a bad idea.