Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by AFrieze <AF...@simmgene.com> on 2007/08/28 18:09:27 UTC

[users@httpd] Best Hardware to buy for Apache

Hi All

  We just had our old apache server die, looking to upgrade quickly.
Anyone have a good link to some hardware discussions for apache.  Our
apache machine will run as a load balancer, using mod_jk to pass
requests to tomcat.  I was thinking 2 G of ram and a cheap dual core
processor.  Any opinions?  Load is probably about 20 - 30 people on
clicking continually.

Thanks
AFrieze

RE: [users@httpd] Best Hardware to buy for Apache

Posted by Ge...@gta-travel.com.
The benefit in quick drives is relative. It would depend on your
application.
If you are serving huge files all of the time then yes, and probably
also if you are saving a lot of files most of the time.

Linux caches disk reads so having lots of ram would help with this, but
I do not know which OS you intend to use.

Of all the hardware components disk IO will always be the slowest so the
quicker the better, within reason of course. 4 Serial ATA drives
configured with raid 10 might be a good idea and relatively cheap.

Regards

Posted by AFrieze <AF...@simmgene.com>.