Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Waddington <st...@exetel.com.au> on 2005/03/10 03:55:16 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem with mod_disk_cache - anyone seen this?

I have noticed a problem using mod_disk_cache (any 2.0 release afaik).

When the server date is changed from its current date to an earlier date web
pages will display as raw html on non IE browsers.

For example, a web server I am running lost sync with its ntp server and its
date was running fast by two hours.  I resynced it with the ntp server, so
its local time was now two hours earlier.  Any web page that had been cached
by mod_disk_cache, now had a cache time stamp two hours _later_ than the
system time.

When those pages were viewed by a non IE browser such as Firefox or Mozilla,
the browser displayed raw html code in clear text.  It seems the mime type
was not understood.  All the pages looked fine in IE however.

>From the search I did for possible causes, it seems some folk have reported
similar problems, but there is no diagnosis for this case.

My initial work around was to stop ntpd and advance the system date three
hours - which fixed the browser display problem.

To fix the problem fully I disabled mod_disk_cache set the date to the
correct time, then restarted httpd.  I think if I enable mod_disk_cache and
reload after the system date has passed the cached page time stamp, it
should be ok - can anyone confirm if that will be the case?  It is a
production server with 70 sites hosted, so I am not keen to experiment to
see if it works or not.

Another possible solution would have been to set the system date to the
correct time and then delete all the /var/cache/httpd content, forcing it to
be recreated with the correct time stamps.  But I am not sure of the
repercussions of doing that, does anyone know?

Regards,

Steve