Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Pierce <Jo...@seagram.com> on 2000/03/02 15:52:06 UTC

Re[2]: new RELEASE-PLAN

You can implement Tomcat as an NT service by creating a service and using a
utility such as invoker from www.idetix.com or srvany.exe from the NT resource
kit. These require manual edits to the registry to configure the service to
invoke the java VM to run Tomcat.

There is also a java based toolkit that can accomplish installing NT services.

I'm not sure what the licensing issues would be and whether these tools could be
redistributed with TomCat or include source code.  Someone would need to write
an install script that would install TomCat as a service and do the required
Registry edits.

Jonathan

Subject:    Re: new RELEASE-PLAN
Author: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Date:       3/1/00 6:45 PM

Arion,

The way it works is generally people volunteer to implement something and add a
feature and their name besides it.

If you are volunteering, sure it can be added. I have no idea what it takes to
implement Tomcat as an NT service but my vote would be to discourage anything
that involves too many internal (or platform specific)  changes at this point.

Peace, Anil +<:-)

Running Tomcat as a service: was -> Re: new RELEASE-PLAN

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@relativity.yi.org>.
Jonathan Pierce wrote:

> You can implement Tomcat as an NT service by creating a service and using a
> utility such as invoker from www.idetix.com or srvany.exe from the NT resource
> kit. These require manual edits to the registry to configure the service to
> invoke the java VM to run Tomcat.
>
> There is also a java based toolkit that can accomplish installing NT services.
>
> I'm not sure what the licensing issues would be and whether these tools could be
> redistributed with TomCat or include source code.  Someone would need to write
> an install script that would install TomCat as a service and do the required
> Registry edits.
>
> Jonathan
<snip>

This is the second time this has come up.  Are there docs on this.  I
have a feeling it will be a FAQ.

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org