Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Martijn Verburg <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/09 17:06:30 UTC

Uploading 2.10.0 and 2.11.0 to Maven Central repo

Hi all,

As mentioned in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1454 I'm happy
to try and help you guys out with the Sonatype process to get these versions
into Maven central.  Our team is quite keen to use the latest and greatest
in our automated builds.

Cheers,
Martijn

Re: Uploading 2.10.0 and 2.11.0 to Maven Central repo

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Martijn Verburg <ma...@gmail.com> wrote on 01/09/2011 11:37:32 AM:

>> Sure, if you'd like to. You could refer to this thread if they want
>> to see that it's been discussed on the development mailing list.
>
> Apologies for the long delay.

No problem. Thanks for doing this.

> I've posted the request here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-3348 and I'll wait for a
> response from them before continuing  with any actual build file
> changes.  I'm hoping it'll also be possible to manually upload 2.10.
> 0 and 2.11.0 binaries that aren't currently in Maven central and to
> have the full release process in place for 2.12.0.
>
> Cheers,
> Martijn

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Uploading 2.10.0 and 2.11.0 to Maven Central repo

Posted by Martijn Verburg <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

> Would you like me to raise the JIRA on this project's behalf?
>
> Sure, if you'd like to. You could refer to this thread if they want to see
> that it's been discussed on the development mailing list.

Apologies for the long delay.  I've posted the request here:

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Martijn,

Martijn Verburg <ma...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/14/2010 08:49:16 AM:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry to keep replying to myself :).  It looks like there are some
> instructions for Ant/Ivy, so this should be technically feasible.
>  The first step for the Xerces project to take (assuming you want to
> continue doing this) is to raise a JIRA and fill out the following
> questions (See http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-
> artifacts.html#signing-up for details).
>
> I've answered them as best I can below (in brackets):
>
> Project URL: a link to your project page - (http://
> xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/)
> SVN URL: where the source is located in case we need to lookup more
> information and to provide feedback on your pom - (https://
> svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/java)
> Maven Group Ids: a list of the groupIds for this project. They
> should all be subgroups of org.apache (xerces)
> Managed By This TLP Project: if this is a subproject, list the TLP
> that is responsible. Subprojects usually don't have their own LDAP
> group, so we need the TLP LDAP group for permissions. (Xerces top
> level project - http://xerces.apache.org/)
> Do those answers seem right to you?

Yes, that's correct.

> Would you like me to raise the JIRA on this project's behalf?

Sure, if you'd like to. You could refer to this thread if they want to see
that it's been discussed on the development mailing list.

> Cheers,
> Martijn
>
> PS:  For those who are curious, once this JIRA is filed, the
> following will happen:
>
> Setup the project in Nexus: We will configure your groupIds in Nexus
> and link them to the appropriate LDAP group for Authorization
> Move Existing Artifacts: In order to maintain the proper maven-
> metadata.xml files and to prevent rsync conflicts in Central, we
> must move all your artifacts to the new repository. We will move
> your artifacts from the old repository on people to the new
> repository and mark the folder in people as read-only to prevent
> accidental deployments.
> Check POMs: We will quickly check your POM (if your project is Maven
> based) for any obvious problems. If you have specific questions or
> concerns, please call them out in the issue.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Uploading 2.10.0 and 2.11.0 to Maven Central repo

Posted by Martijn Verburg <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

   -

   *Project URL:* a link to your project page - (
   http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/)
   -

   *SVN URL:* where the source is located in case we need to lookup more
   information and to provide feedback on your pom - (
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/java)
   -

   *Maven Group Ids:* a list of the groupIds for this project. They should
   all be subgroups of org.apache (xerces)
   -

   *Managed By This TLP Project:* if this is a subproject, list the TLP that
   is responsible. Subprojects usually don't have their own LDAP group, so we
   need the TLP LDAP group for permissions. (Xerces top level project -
   http://xerces.apache.org/)

Do those answers seem right to you?  Would you like me to raise the JIRA on
this project's behalf?

[...]

Posted by Martijn Verburg <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Martijn Verburg <ma...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/13/2010 01:17:34 PM:

> Hi Michael,
>
>> Hi Martijn,
>>
>> Not sure what your build script is going to do, but I suspect the
>> ASF repository can only contain packages which were released by the
>> project's PMC, in other words the jars that are already being
>> distributed for 2.10.0 and 2.11.0.
> I'm hoping to do exactly that - so get the build script to work with
> the JARs produced by the 2.10.0 and 2.11.0 tags (I'm working off the
> 2.11.0 tag for now as an experiment).  The build script could then
> be added to trunk for future releases.
>> I recall Nathan Beyer (not sure if he's still subscribed to this
>> list) did this for Xerces a few years back. Though I haven't
>> searched I would expect that there would be something in the mailing
>> list archives on what he deployed.
> OK, I'll go look - but I don't think what was released in the past
> went through the ASF Nexus (I've searched that repo and there are no
> versions of xerces there).

Okay. Perhaps the ASF Nexus is something different than the "Repository" I
knew of.

> As of yet I haven't found the admins that run the ASF Nexus - I'll
> keep looking :)
>
> Cheers,
> Martijn

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Uploading 2.10.0 and 2.11.0 to Maven Central repo

Posted by Martijn Verburg <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Martijn,

Not sure what your build script is going to do, but I suspect the ASF
repository can only contain packages which were released by the project's
PMC, in other words the jars that are already being distributed for 2.10.0
and 2.11.0. I recall Nathan Beyer (not sure if he's still subscribed to

<martijnverburg@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Hi Benson,

> Why are you bothering to aim at the sonatype bundle system? Aren't we
> just aiming at the ASF Nexus? The requirements are not precisely
> identical.
>
> Ah, I learn something new every day!  I wasn't even aware of the ASF
> Nexus (my open source projects aren't ASF, so I go through the
> general Sonatype Nexus).  It certainly sounds like the ASF Nexus
> would be the route to use.
>
> If the builds here already produce all the jars (core, sources,
> javadoc) and sign them, then all you need to do is operate the deploy
> plugin, which you can do from the ant tools. If they don't produce the
> right tools, then the annoying problem is to get the jars made and
> signed, the later of which is not easy for ant. When I did this for
> GATE, I did a bit of hybridization.
>
> See https://gate.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gate/gate/trunk/build/
> deploy/maven/
> for a complete example.
>
> Ironically, this *is* something aimed at the sonatype system.
>
> Cool, thanks for the example!  I need to get the source code and get
> myself familiar with the build for Xerces.  Hopefully I can start to
> investigate all of this week, I'm not as familiar with Ant and its
> tools (I've been a Maven user for the last 2-3 years now) but I'm
> sure it'll come back to me :).
>
> Thanks again for the tips/help!
>
> Cheers,
> Martijn
>
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Martijn Verburg
> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Benson,
> > I've never tried using the Maven ANT tools to perform a release that
the
> > Sonatype Nexus repo will accept (it is a fairly new process they have
in
> > place).  I'm not sure if Ivy has that type of 'release' support either.
> > I'm happy to look into either of those if they can perform the right
tasks!
> >  Again I'm not here to upset the apple cart.
> > Benson, have you given either of those tools a go on another project?
Are

<bi...@gmail.com>

Posted by Martijn Verburg <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,