Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Fitzcaraldo <Br...@marlo.com.au> on 2012/08/04 08:28:22 UTC

Packaging routes for deployment

Hi

I'm exploring strategies for packaging routes for deployment in as .war.  We
have a parent POM with multiple child projects each representing a single
route and each with its own POM. In general each child route is built with
its own camel-context.  We want to be able to deploy some but not all of the
child routes.

Some questions are:
Do people generally put all routes in a single context for deployment?
Does it matter if each route is deployed with a separate context?
Should I use a separate war for each route?

If I create a new Maven project to create the deployment war(s) - should I
pull the child jars from the Maven repo or build the projects again?

I'm keen to hear what others have done.

Thanks

Re: Packaging routes for deployment

Posted by Fitzcaraldo <Br...@marlo.com.au>.
Thanks Christian

Re: Packaging routes for deployment

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,

find my answers inline...

Best,
Christian

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Fitzcaraldo
<Br...@marlo.com.au>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm exploring strategies for packaging routes for deployment in as .war.
>  We
> have a parent POM with multiple child projects each representing a single
> route and each with its own POM. In general each child route is built with
> its own camel-context.  We want to be able to deploy some but not all of
> the
> child routes.
>
> Some questions are:
> Do people generally put all routes in a single context for deployment?

It's the easiest way. But if you want to update your routes independent
from other ones, you have to put them into multiple contexts (see below).

> Does it matter if each route is deployed with a separate context?

Yes. If they are in different context, you cannot use the direct or seda
protocol.

> Should I use a separate war for each route?

It depends. If you want to update a (single) route without shutting down
all your routes, you should use multiple war's. Is this is not an
requirement, you should deploy your routes in a single war file.

> If I create a new Maven project to create the deployment war(s) - should I
> pull the child jars from the Maven repo or build the projects again?

I would use a Maven multi project structure with a "jar" or "bundle"
packaging type for each use case. Than use mavens "war" project packaging
type to create a war file (or multiple) which contains the routes you want
to deploy together.