Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID> on 2023/01/25 09:37:35 UTC

Reason behind using Apache Nightlies directory instead of Apache Nexus Snapshot Repository

Hello Arrow community!

I am coming from the Apache Pekko community where we are trying to
bootstrap the newly approved incubator project. Currently we are working on
snapshots/nightlies, specifically where to upload them and also the process
of generating the snapshots (i.e. nightly, after merge into main etc etc).

As of now we are uploading into Apache nightlies (i.e.
https://nightlies.apache.org/ with PR
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/pull/60) and the method of
uploading was actually derived from Apache Arrow. However after further
cursory investigation I found out that Apache Arrow seems to be the
only Apache project that seems to upload snapshots into
https://nightlies.apache.org/. Every other project uploads snapshots into
Apache's Nexus snapshot repository (i.e.
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/) and after
discussion with Apache's #askinfra slack channel, they also recommend that
any JVM library snapshot artifacts be published to this Nexus Snapshot
Repository.

So the question is, is there a reason why this project is uploading
snapshot jars into the nightlies? The only technical reason I can come up
with is that with nightlies you have control over the expiry (i.e. setting
it to 30 days), whereas with Apache's Snapshot Repo there is a default
global job that cleans snapshots. Pekko is currently considering uploading
to Apache's Nexus Snapshot Repo instead of nightlies but I want to make
sure we haven't missed anything, for context of the discussion in pekko see
https://lists.apache.org/thread/p5s8ysypyd2l2slb3o9f2v5vrf8dgsx8.

Many thanks

--

Matthew de Detrich

*Aiven Deutschland GmbH*

Immanuelkirchstraße 26, 10405 Berlin

Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 209739 B

Geschäftsführer: Oskari Saarenmaa & Hannu Valtonen

*m:* +491603708037

*w:* aiven.io *e:* matthew.dedetrich@aiven.io

Re: Reason behind using Apache Nightlies directory instead of Apache Nexus Snapshot Repository

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

I noticed that *-sources.jar also have *.{so,dylib,dll}.
e.g.: https://nightlies.apache.org/arrow/java/org/apache/arrow/arrow-gandiva/12.0.0-SNAPSHOT/arrow-gandiva-12.0.0-SNAPSHOT-sources.jar

We can remove them from *-sources.jar. We can reduce 150MB
by removing them.

kou

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: Reason behind using Apache Nightlies directory instead of Apache Nexus Snapshot Repository" on Wed, 8 Feb 2023 19:21:40 +0100,

Posted by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.
I asked INFRA and there are no space restrictions in place so we could move
the builds there.

Posted by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.
Looking at the docs it is missing an important detail, we now move/rename
the most recent build to arrow-X.Z.Y-SNAPSHOT e.g. [1] which you can add to
your project and will always get the most recent build vs. having to update
the version manually each day.  I have opened an issue to update the
docs.[2]

[1]:
https://nightlies.apache.org/arrow/java/org/apache/arrow/arrow-memory/11.0.0-SNAPSHOT/
[2]:

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

Wow! I didn't know the snapshot repository!

If we use the snapshot repository, can we simplify this?
https://arrow.apache.org/docs/dev/developers/java/building.html#installing-nightly-packages

Then, let's use the snapshot repository instead of
https://nightlies.apache.org/ .

kou

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
  "Reason behind using Apache Nightlies directory instead of Apache Nexus Snapshot Repository" on Wed, 25 Jan 2023 10:37:35 +0100,

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
> But as I am not a Java developer I would be open to changes if there is a
clear benefit for the devs using the nightlies.

So the benefits of using the Apache Nexus repository I can list quickly here

* Since the repo is managed by Sonatype nexus software, it handles a lot of
things that are considered default for Java developers (which as I
mentioned before, almost all Java developers resolve artifacts, SNAPSHOT or
not via a repository). This can include cases like setting up a proxy (work
environment), redirects and other less typical ways of resolving JVM
artifacts
* If there are any issues with resolving the SNAPSHOT artifacts, the
resolution of such problems would be easier via a Apache Nexus repo since
there is an Apache INFRA team that manages it specifically for JVM
artifacts and the Sonatype software itself is designed to handle this case
* The documentation for actually resolving the nightlies would be a lot
more clear since you just need to add the Apache Snapshots repo which is
actually mentioned on the main Apache site at
https://infra.apache.org/repository-faq.html#basic
* The Apache Nexus repo handles expiry automatically for all artifacts,
this means you don't need to manually setup snapshot expiry as you have
done in arrows github action.

I am not sure if this is classified as a "clear benefit", but I would
repeat my earlier point that this setup is not typical whatsoever and does
look odd. Almost every modern Java/JVM developer would have similar
sentiments. It is also recommended from the INFRA team to deploy JVM
artifacts to this repo (with the proviso of keeping snapshots to minimum as
you note)

> Looking at your slack conversation with infra it seems that
the nexus repository is a bit tight on space currently so it like would not
be the best to move our ~450MB/day nightlies there.

Are the 450mb you talk about just for the Java/JVM jars or your entire
nightlies? Would just like to clarify because I only recommend moving
Java/JVM snapshots specifically to the Apache Nexus repository, not all of
the SNAPSHOT for all of the binaries of other languages.

If you are only talking about JVM artifacts being ~450mb then that seems
suspiciously large however I am not that familiar with Apache arrow this
could be intended.

Posted by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.
Hello Matthew,

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
From my understanding as a general design perspective, if you are uploading

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthew,

Uploading java jars to nightlies.apache.org was implemented on the
following PR: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/13328

From what I remember the solution of uploading to nightlies.apache.org was