Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Samy CHBINOU <sa...@greenflops.com> on 2017/01/26 13:28:28 UTC

using kafka log compaction withour key

Hello,

Is is possible to use log compaction without key? I think in that case
buffer will contain only one line of data value? Is that correct?

thanks

Re: using kafka log compaction withour key

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
The log compaction functionality uses the key to determine which records to
deduplicate. You can think of it (very roughly) as deleting entries from a
hash map as the value for each key is overwritten. This functionality
doesn't have much of a point unless you include keys in your records.

-Ewen