Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike <mi...@levrah.net> on 2002/11/07 23:04:59 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Multiple uses of RewriteRule(s)/Cond(s) in same .htaccess

At 03:52 PM 11/7/2002, you wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Mike wrote:
> > The question: In utilizing RewriteEngine, will multiple uses of
> > RewriteRule(s) and RewriteCond(s) within the same .htaccess file result in
> > unexpected behavior/results? I'm wanting to make sure the directives
> > (cond/rule pairs) will work independently, or that they won't cancel one
> > another out. I can post an example of what I'm doing if allowed...
>
>Yep, post the configuration excerpt.
>
>In general, RerwiteRule/RewriteCond are processed in the order they are
>seen in the config file.  But there are lots of ways to short-circuit that
>using options to the RewriteRules.
>
>Joshua.

This is the short version. Other conditions exist in the first section. I
didn't want to overwhelm with excessive paste when only one line is needed
for the question.

The code fundamentally works perfectly. Both of these work independently
just fine. I just want to be sure when combining them together into one
.htaccess, that I'm not going to cause the server to blow a gasket. :)

##############################
# Turn RewriteEngine ON
RewriteEngine on

# Protect site against webscrapers
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^contrpl [NC,OR]
...other conditions exist here...
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^wget [NC]
RewriteRule ^.* - [forbidden]

# Protect against off-site graphic linking
RewriteRule (.*/illegal-link.gif) $1 [last]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^($|(http://)?[^/]*(foo|bar)) [NC]
RewriteRule \.(jpe?g|gif|png) http://www.blah.com/illegal-link.gif [R]
##############################

Disclaimer: Yes. I know there is no real, tried-n-true, completely
reliable, always-going-to-work way to protect against
web-harvesting/scraping, nor image/bandwidth theft. But I do want to do
whatever I can. If this post results in another thread showing other ways
to do same, that's fine too. hehe But I've been using the above two
configurations separately on different webs with successful some time. All
I want to do now is combine the two together. :)

Thanks!
-mike

Re: [users@httpd] Multiple uses of RewriteRule(s)/Cond(s) in same .htaccess

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Mike wrote:
> The code fundamentally works perfectly. Both of these work independently
> just fine. I just want to be sure when combining them together into one
> .htaccess, that I'm not going to cause the server to blow a gasket. :)

It seems fine to me.  If the first set of rules match, then the second set
will likely have no effect, but that seems fine in this case.

Joshua.