Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by funing <fu...@necas.nec.co.jp> on 2002/09/18 10:31:27 UTC

how to write data to the XML file which the data is read from ?

Hi! all:
  I am a newbie on cocoon and xsp. I want to know if it is possible
to  write data to the XML file which the data is read from. That means,
I can get some data from a xml file, and transform it to a html and
present it to a user. The user may change the data. How can I save the
changes to the VERY xml which the data comes from?

  I think serializer may be the answer. But I don't know how to generate
a xml file dynamically without http response.

best regards

--
funing <fu...@necas.nec.co.jp>

RE: how to write data to the XML file which the data is read from ?

Posted by Ryan Agler <ry...@hotmail.com>.
If you're using Xalan, there is an XSLT extension that will let you do
this.  You could embed the code to save changes in the same XSL file you
use for presentation, depending on a request parameter.

<map:generate src="docs/yourXMLfile.xml"/>
   <map:transform src="stylesheets/xalanStylesheet.xsl">
   </map:transform>
<map:serialize/>

xalanStylesheet.xsl would look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet  exclude-result-prefixes="*"
xmlns:xalan="org.apache.xalan.xslt.extensions.Redirect"
extension-element-prefixes="xalan" version="1.0">
   <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />
   <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" otput:indent-amount="5"
xmlns:otput="http://xml.apache.org/xslt" />
   <xsl:param name="save"/>
   <xsl:param name="mytext"/>
   <xsl:template match="/mydoc">
         <xsl:choose>
            <xsl:when test="$save = '1'">
               <xsl:variable name="file"
select="concat('../docs/','yourXMLfile.xml')"/>
               <xalan:write select="$file">
	            <mydoc>
                     <mytext><xsl:value-of select="$mytext"/></mytext>
	            </mydoc>
               </xalan:write>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
            </xsl:otherwise>
         </xsl:choose>
   </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

good luck

>  I am a newbie on cocoon and xsp. I want to know if it is possible
>to  write data to the XML file which the data is read from. That means,
>I can get some data from a xml file, and transform it to a html and
>present it to a user. The user may change the data. How can I save the
>changes to the VERY xml which the data comes from?
>
>  I think serializer may be the answer. But I don't know how to
generate
>a xml file dynamically without http response.

See <slash-edit/> demo. It's under mount/edit in the scratchpad/webapp.

Vadim

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.