Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu> on 2004/05/18 06:25:45 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Release of Commons HttpClient 3.0 Alpha 1

We are pleased to announce the first HttpClient 3.0 release.
HttpClient 3.0 provides a wealth of features and enhancements that did
not make it into the 2.0 release.  We have attempted to preserve API
compatibility as much as possible. In a relatively few cases API
compatibility with HttpClient 2.0 could not maintained.

Noteworthy enhancements include:
   -  New preference architecture
   -  Improved exception handling framework
   -  Granular non-standards configuration and tracking
   -  Improved authentication framework
   -  Plug-in mechanism for authentication modules
   -  Cookie specification plug-in mechanism
   -  Cross-site redirect support

This release is targeted at projects already using HttpClient 2.0.  Now
is the time to evaluate HttpClient 3.0 and give us some feedback,
critique or other thought on the new API. Please feel free to file
requests for additional features.

Please visit the HttpClient Web site
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/> for more information.

Thank you,