Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vinod Kumar Badhavat <vi...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/28 05:39:27 UTC

Regarding - Google Summer of Code Project - to Mark Thomas

Hi Mark Thomas,

This is regarding Google Summer of Code Project - "*Convert current Tomcat
valves to Servlet Filters**"* by ASF.

I'm Vinod Kumar, a 2nd year undergraduate btech student in Computer Science
and Engineering Department at Indian Institute of Technology(IIT), Bombay,
India. I came to know about GSoC just 5-6 days ago and i'm very much excited
about this idea of open source software development.

I love Apache Software Foundation for its useful resources. The first open
source software i know is "Eclipse" and next "Apache Tomcat","Apache Lucene"
- as these were used by me in my Information retrival project. I came to
about these open sources from my guide and i was impressed and excited about
these free resources completely supported by excellent developers. I thought
i must also contribute to these opensources as these are very helpful tools.
This is a worderful opportunity provided by Google and Apache through Google
Summer of Code(GSoC) - only for students. I thought i may contribute to
apache sometime later after my graduation but now i hope i got an
opportunity right in my undergraduation and i don't want to miss this
opportunity - hence would like to apply for this project which involves
exploring complete Apache Tomcat project and changing the code to have
required thing implemented.

As i'm a computer science student, i'm having good experience in coding. I
worked on a project - "Network Routing Simulations" which involved lot and
lot of coding and ofcourse basic study of computer networks - TCP/IP
protocols and Routing algos. I also worked on a project - "Information
Retrival from the Desktop" using Apache Lucene and Apache Tomcat - for
servlet and jsps - this is like basic version of Google Desktop. I'm very
much interested in coding and i coded small simple games like chess,
billiards, sudoko.

I'm very comfortable with Java Core. I also worked with servlets and jsps.
I'm very much excited about this project which helps me in start-off to
contribute to apache. As this project involves understanding of Apache
Tomcat and next converting valves to filters, i hope i'll be able to answer
some of the difficulties which people face while using tomcat and hence i
can also contribute to the community by answering the queries. I would like
to be one among the apache community.

I hope Mark Thomas reads this and responds.

Thank you,

Vinod Kumar
2nd year Undergraduate Student in Computer Science and Engineering(CSE)
Department

Re: Regarding - Google Summer of Code Project - to Mark Thomas

Posted by Vinod Kumar Badhavat <vi...@gmail.com>.
right now i'm very busy with my academics(this continues till april 24th) so
its not at all possible to explore Tomcat and then try to develop a patch
for any bug. But i'm very much confident that i'm capable of doing job.

thank you
Vinod.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Vinod Kumar Badhavat wrote:
> opportunity - hence would like to apply for this project which involves
> exploring complete Apache Tomcat project and changing the code to have
> required thing implemented.

Then please read the main source of information:
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009

Keep in mind:
- you have plenty of time to write your proposal
- the expected contents of the proposal is on the wiki
- projects are *NOT* allocated on a first come first served basis
- proposal evaluation criteria will be published on the wiki soon

Past experience has shown that the successful students are the ones that work
with the relevant project community on the project's public mailing lists to