Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathy Saunders <ka...@Source-Zone.com> on 2004/10/04 19:46:38 UTC

Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?

>>> Will the license also allow for redistribution?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jeremy

I just wanted to let everyone know that the JDBC driver for the network
server mode has been refreshed at
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/downloads/jcc/.  The only change
is that the license now allows redistribution of the driver.

Thanks,
Kathy

Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@gmail.com>.
There is this project - http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendrda/
however it looks fairly dead at the moment.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@Sourcery.Org>.

Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?

Posted by Kathy Saunders <ka...@Source-Zone.com>.
Kathy Saunders wrote:

>>> It would seem to be in the best interests of Apache.org, IBM and
>>> potential users.
>>

>> I agree.  It's up to the ASF and users to lobby IBM to do the Right
>> Thing (tm)(sm)(R)
>>
>> geir
>>
> I am looking into what can be done on the IBM side, but I don't
> guarantee an immediate resolution.  I'll keep everyone informed on any
> progress :-)
>
> Kathy

Hi,

IBM would like to contribute a client JDBC driver to the Apache Derby
project.  If all goes according to plan, we hope to have the
contribution available for Apache Derby around March 2005.

Kathy

Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Oct 5, 2004, at 10:38 AM, Kathy Saunders wrote:

>>> It would seem to be in the best interests of Apache.org, IBM and
>>> potential users.
>>

>> I agree.  It's up to the ASF and users to lobby IBM to do the Right
>> Thing (tm)(sm)(R)
>>
>> geir
>>
> I am looking into what can be done on the IBM side, but I don't
> guarantee an immediate resolution.  I'll keep everyone informed on any
> progress :-)

Thanks.  I personally appreciate the effort, as I believe others do.  I
also think you have a hard task on your hands if this is the DB2 driver
:)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?

Posted by Kathy Saunders <ka...@Source-Zone.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Oct 4, 2004, at 8:13 PM, Dick Applebaum wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Apache can include the driver in the Derby distrobution (I believe
>>> there are some license requirements to do so.  If the Derby
>>> community wants to do that,  it should be OK.    I don't know what
>>> Apache's general policy is on inlcuding non-open source in one if
>>> its releases.  I do know that Apache often points to other sites to
>>> obtain free software.
>>>

>> Why don't you release a OSS version of a driver for derby, or have
>> the community develop one...
>>

> Do We really want another driver?

No, but we really want another license.  I'd bet we could get a driver
written faster than IBM would take to donate to the ASF, or relicense
under terms that the ASF would accept to keep the jar here in SVN.

> Some how, Macromedia is able to redistro a DB2 (Cloudscape/Derby)
> driver with ColdFusion MX -- why can't Apache.org.

One is a commercial entity that's packaging the driver w/ a product,
and the other is an OSS organization that by keeping the jar in SVN
would be violating the terms of the IBM license, or by distributing in
a derby release would be violating the ASFs policy of not releasing
code that has license terms more restrictive than the Apache License.

Posted by Dick Applebaum <di...@mac.com>.
On Oct 4, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2004, at 1:35 PM, Kathy Saunders wrote:
>
>> Dick Applebaum wrote:
>>
>>> Does this mean that Apache can/will include the driver in the Derby
>>> distro --kind of a pita to have to go 2 places to assemble a
>>> runnable Derby
>>>
>>> Dick
>>>
>> Apache can include the driver in the Derby distrobution (I believe
>> there are some license requirements to do so.  If the Derby community
>> wants to do that,  it should be OK.    I don't know what Apache's
>> general policy is on inlcuding non-open source in one if its
>> releases.  I do know that Apache often points to other sites to
>> obtain free software.
>>

> Why don't you release a OSS version of a driver for derby, or have the
> community develop one...

Do We really want another driver?

Some how, Macromedia is able to redistro a DB2 (Cloudscape/Derby)
driver with ColdFusion MX -- why can't Apache.org.

It would seem to be in the best interests of Apache.org, IBM and
potential users.

Dick

> geir
>

>> Kathy

> geirm@apache.org

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think “I know, I’ll use
  regular expressions”. Now they have two problems.
--Jamie Zawinski, on comp.lang.emacs

Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: JDBC driver for Derby network server mode?

Posted by Kathy Saunders <ka...@Source-Zone.com>.

Posted by Dick Applebaum <di...@mac.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
That is really too bad.  You would think it would be in IBM's best
interest to see the DB2 database driver shipped with as much software
as possible.  For example, wouldn't IBM want to say that Tomcat and
Geronimo support DB2 out of the box... no configuration necessary.
Having a redistributable driver is first step.

-dain

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.