Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by amol gole <mo...@yahoo.com> on 2011/01/26 23:02:03 UTC

externals behavior with tags

I am a tortise svn user. I recently started trying the svn:externals property to
share files between projects. I got this feature to work and I am happy with it
so far.

My question is related to how tags should behave with such shared files. I use
tags as snapshots of my project in time. The tag is a copy of my trunk/branch
when I created it. However, if I am using shared files via the externals
property, these externally linked files will not be static - they will change if
I do an update on my tag! This is definitely not the behavior I'm looking for.

Immediately I can think of 2 ways to "fix" this behavior of the tag not being
truly static:
1. In a tag, externally linked files loose their external link and are now just
copies of the files. (yuck)
2. In a tag, the svn:externals property is changed slightly such that it points
to the specific revision of the file when the tag was created. (using -rREV url
filename format)

Is this really a problem or is there another fix available that I am unaware of?

Thanks,
AG

RE: externals behavior with tags

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> > Option 2 is supported, and in fact is the recommended method.
> >
> > See:
> > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-
> book.html#svn.advanced.externals
>
> And if you want the externals references on your trunk to float
> with the
> trunk of the referenced item during development, one approach is to
> always make an intermediate branch where you make these and any
> other
> needed changes before making the tag.

Or, just make the changes on your working copy and create the tag from your working copy.

BOb

Re: externals behavior with tags

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

--