Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Cahir King <ca...@googlemail.com> on 2012/12/31 09:04:59 UTC

"No print service found" error on Apache Tomcat 6.0.35 running on FreeBSD using CUPS when trying to print via Jasper.

Hello all,

I am running a web application (OpenVPMS) on Tomcat 6.0.35 on a FreeBSD 9.0
server. The webapp has a Mysql database backend. I have installed CUPS and
have several printers on the local network (mainly HP).  The JVM is openjdk
6.0 (1.6.0_32-b26), downloaded and installed from ports in BSD.

One feature of the webapp is that it is supposed to send label printouts
directly to a printer using jasper. However, when I try to do this, the
following error comes up:

Failed to generate report: No suitable print service found.

I can print from the BSD server using other programs like gedit. I just
can't get the tomcat server to print directly. I am assuming that the
jasper bit was installed automatically with the tomcat port on BSD, so I
don't think I need any additional programs. I have also made sure that the
tomcat user is a member of the cups group.

I am a novice in all of this, so if anyone can point me in the right
direction, I would be most grateful. The error log is attached to this
message.

Thank you.

Re: "No print service found" error on Apache Tomcat 6.0.35 running on FreeBSD using CUPS when trying to print via Jasper.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Cahir King <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Thank you for your reply.  I don't think that my webapp requires Jasper
Reports, just the native Tomcat's jasper.  Jasper Reports is not listed as
required in any of the installation documentation (
http://www.openvpms.org/implementors-handbook).  The setup seems to work
without a hitch on Windows, so I think it may be a linux / unix
configuration issue that I am confused about.

On 31 December 2012 08:23, Pid * <pi...@pidster.com> wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2012, at 08:05, Cahir King <ca...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am running a web application (OpenVPMS) on Tomcat 6.0.35 on a FreeBSD
> 9.0 server. The webapp has a Mysql database backend. I have installed CUPS
> and have several printers on the local network (mainly HP).  The JVM is
> openjdk 6.0 (1.6.0_32-b26), downloaded and installed from ports in BSD.
> >
> > One feature of the webapp is that it is supposed to send label printouts
> directly to a printer using jasper. However, when I try to do this, the
> following error comes up:
> >
> > Failed to generate report: No suitable print service found.
> >
> > I can print from the BSD server using other programs like gedit. I just
> can't get the tomcat server to print directly. I am assuming that the
> jasper bit was installed automatically with the tomcat port on BSD, so I
> don't think I need any additional programs. I have also made sure that the
> tomcat user is a member of the cups group.
>
> Apache Tomcat's Jasper component is not the same as Jasper Reports.
> Perhaps this is causing some confusion?

> > I am a novice in all of this, so if anyone can point me in the right
> direction, I would be most grateful. The error log is attached to this
> message.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > <opv_print_error.txt>

Cahir P. King