Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Yulian Oifa <oi...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/18 20:07:47 UTC

Problem with counter columns

Hello to all
i am using counter columns in cassandra cluster with 3 nodes.
all 3 nodes are up and synchronized with ntp timeserver , same with client.
I am using libthrift java client.

Current problem i am having is that part of writes to counter columns
simply disappears ( most of time different values are added so i am able to
follow what missed and what not ).Approximately 40-50% of add requests
disappears.

So for example if initial value is 1 , and i want to add 1 , 2 , 3 i would
expect final result on 7 , but it will return me the value 5 since add(2)
will be lost ( no exception is thrown ).

I did not disabled replica on write ( it is set to true ):

ColumnFamily: subscriptionsCounters
      Key Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.TimeUUIDType
      Default column value validator:
org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.CounterColumnType
      Columns sorted by: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
      Row cache size / save period in seconds: 0.0/0
      Row Cache Provider:
org.apache.cassandra.cache.ConcurrentLinkedHashCacheProvider
      Key cache size / save period in seconds: 200000.0/14400
      Memtable thresholds: 1.1484375/1440/245 (millions of ops/minutes/MB)
      GC grace seconds: 864000
      Compaction min/max thresholds: 4/32
      Read repair chance: 1.0
      Replicate on write: true
      Built indexes: []

Also i dont see anything in log in any not , neither warning nor error.
I am writing data with Local QUORUM Consistency Level since it stopped
working with one.
same with read operations.

Current cassandra version is 0.8.10.

How can i debug , find the problem????

Thanks and best regards
Yulian Oifa

Re: Problem with counter columns

Posted by Yulian Oifa <oi...@gmail.com>.
Hello
I have resolved the issue by recreating tables and recalculating them ( i
use counter columns for summary , so live data allows me to recalculate it
).

As for upgrading i walked over issues list and found that issues either
where resolved in 0.8.3 , 0.8.4 or opened till now ( my version is 0.8.10 )

Especially the issues :

And previous one that was moved into 4775 :

So my goal is to identify the problem first , prior to upgrading and
opening duplicate case , etc.
I am almost sure that what caused the error was Out of memory problems
which where caused by big super column tables.after that i had to restart a
servers one after another.
Counters got out of sync and looks like when update went to correct server
everything was working , otherwise update was discarded ( servers was not
able to resync on counter columns ).
Looks like also nodetool repair does nothing with counter columns , but
only regular columns.

Unfortunately i did not found any hint about what was wrong in counter
columns and did not saw anything in log files , which makes me only hope
that next time the issue will not be reproduced....
For now i will have to stay with current version till i will see that
described issues are resolved in cassandra.

Best regards
Yulian Oifa

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.