Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marco <ma...@mijnvereniging.info> on 2007/09/07 16:30:35 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.23: Could not find jaas Java extension for this JVM

Hello,

Does anyone know how I get rid of the next errormessages:

/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jaas Java extension
for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Some detected jars were not found
for this jvm

This message appears when I try to startup tomcat and is probably the reason
for Tomcat not to startup.

I have had more errorlines like: ‘/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error:
Could not find jdni Java extension for this JVM’ à those could be resolved
by placing jdni.jar in the appropriate folder
(/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_02/jre/lib/). I got jaar.jar from SUN, but placing it in
either /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_02/jre/lib/ or /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib/ didn’t
solve the problem. Perhaps it should be placed in another folder, or perhaps
it is possible to get rid of the reference?

Additional systeminformation:

Fedoracore 7

JVM GNU is replaced by SUN JVM 1.6.0_02

Tomcat 5.5.23

Switching to GNU JVM eliminates the errors and Tomcat succeeds to start
(thus Tomcat seems to be installed well).

Thanks,

Marco.

RE: Tomcat 5.5.23: Could not find jaas Java extension for this JVM

Posted by Marco <ma...@mijnvereniging.info>.
Dear Chuck,

> Of coarse tomcat.apache.org...
> Otherwise there was no problem --> I should have written: 'otherwise there
wouldn't be a problem'.

I hope I can get it work with your advise by now.
Again, thanks for helping.

Kind regards,
Marco.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Marco <ma...@mijnvereniging.info>.
Dear Chuck,

Sorry for the misunderstandings. I hope this clears things up:

At First, tomcat was preinstalled as well as GNU JVM (fedora7 installation).
Now I'm using the 'real one': (tomcat is reinstalled from tomcat.org) AND I
installed a second VM: SUN JVM.

1st JVM: Tomcat gives the errormessage with JAVA_HOME='usr/java/jdk1.6.0_02'
2nd JVM: Tomcat works well with JAVA_HOME='usr/lib/jvm/java'

Anyway, I need SUN JAVA, the GNU isn't appropriate. Otherwise there was no
problem.

I will try new clear installation and looking for rt.jar.
Thanks for your help so far!

With kind Regards,

Marco

> Does anyone know how I get rid of the next errormessages:
> /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jaas
> Java extension for this JVM
> /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Some detected jars
> were not found for this jvm

What script are you running that produces those messages?  Are you using a
3rd-party repackaged version of Tomcat?  If so, please throw it away and
download a real one.

> This message appears when I try to startup tomcat and is
> probably the reason for Tomcat not to startup.

Your message is confusing, since later you say that Tomcat does startup
("Tomcat succeeds to start").  Which is it really?

> I have had more errorlines like:
> '/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error:
> Could not find jdni Java extension for this JVM' à those
> could be resolved
> by placing jdni.jar in the appropriate folder
> (/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_02/jre/lib/). I got jaar.jar from SUN,

More confusion, probably due to not using a real Tomcat.  Even so, if the
message referred to "jdni.jar", why did you get "jaar.jar"?  (Or did you
mean "jaas.jar"?)  There is no jaas.jar needed for JVM 6 - it's built into
rt.jar these days.

For real Tomcats running on real JVMs, you don't need to download or install
any additional jars.  You should try starting over with a clean Tomcat
installation.

 - Chuck

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.