Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/04 17:21:05 UTC

Migrating CXF-DOSGi to be complaint with the new OSGi Remote Service Admin spec

Hi all,

As you've seen, the CXF-DOSGi 1.1 release is out [1]. Thanks Eoghan!
1.1 is compliant with the current OSGi 4.2 Remote Services spec [2].

In the mean time, in the OSGi Alliance an additional 'Distributed
OSGi' specification is nearing completion: Remote Service Admin [3].
This spec defines a number of APIs used internally in Distributed OSGi
implementations. The APIs define the interaction between the
Distribution Provider, Discovery System and a component called the
Topology Manager. The benefit of implementing this standard is that
you can mix & match components from various implementations together.
For instance if someone provided a compliant Discovery implementation
based on UDDI, you could just replace the ZooKeeper-based one in CXF
with that UDDI one. It would just be a matter of replacing the
bundles.

CXF-DOSGi is the Reference Implementation of chapter 13, and will also
be the reference implementation of chapter 122.

Marc Schaaf has been working on refactoring the CXF-DOSGi
implementation to also be compliant with Remote Service Admin while
maintaining backward compatibility. Marc and I are planning to
contribute this work to CXF-DOSGi trunk over the coming weeks.

This might destabilize http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/dosgi/trunk
for a little while, which is one of the reasons why we waited until
after the 1.1 release.

Hope everyone is ok with this.

Best regards,

David

[1] http://cxf.apache.org/dosgi-releases.html
[2] Chapter 13 in the 4.2 Compendium http://www.osgi.org/Download/Release4V42
[3] Chapter 122 in
http://www.osgi.org/download/osgi-4.2-enterprise-early-draft4.pdf

Re: Migrating CXF-DOSGi to be complaint with the new OSGi Remote Service Admin spec

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Marc has submitted the first patch to bug 2427.
I'll be applying the patch shortly.

As this is work in progress, here's a summary of a few things that
aren't finished yet:
Remote Service Admin & Topology Manager   (former DSW):
- Support of the HTTP service is not working at the moment as the
complete configuration type handler is deactivated
- Only the Pojo configuration type handler is supported at the moment
the others will follow soon
- The service decorator is disabled at the moment
- Configuration of the Remote Service Admin and the Topology Manager
via the Configuration Admin is not possible
- Most of the test cases from the former DSW are deactivated as they
need to be adapted to the Remote Service Admin and the Topology
Manager

General:
- Local Discovery is missing
- The Systests are deactivated as they are not yet adapted to the new
implementation

Marc and I will be working on resolving these issues.

Best regards,

David

Posted by Eoghan Glynn <eo...@gmail.com>.
> Hope everyone is ok with this.