Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick2901 <ps...@pt.lu> on 2007/11/26 15:16:33 UTC

Tomcat implementation: please help

Hi,
i'm new to Tomcat, i've downloaded Tomcat (5.5.25 Windows Installer) and am
trying to do the "Head First Servlets & JSP"- Book.
In the book, it says that one can start Tomcat by entering %bin/startup.sh
from the home directory (which is Tomcat 5.5). But in this directory,
startup.sh does not exist. The way i got Tomcat running is by doubleclicking
the file "tomcat5w" in the tomcat 5.5/bin/ directory. Do i miss anything?
I need to know this as later in the book it says to shutdown by entering
%bin/shutdown.sh, that isn't existing either.
Thnaks, Patrick

Re: Tomcat implementation: please help

Posted by br...@gmail.com.
Make sure to create the tomcat variables on windows side.

Also, what does your logs says ?
Enviado pelo meu BlackBerry

Posted by Patrick2901 <ps...@pt.lu>.
Hi,
the log file is empty!
Then i've reinstalled everything: JDK and Tomcat. I've set the JAVA_HOME &
TOMCAT_HOME variables.
I've changed the Tomcat port from 8080 to 1977; no change, logfile still
empty and "cannot find server".

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Patrick2901 [mailto:psaar@pt.lu]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat implementation: please help
>
> Then i start Tomcat by launching tomcat/bin/startup.bat. A
> command prompt window briefly appears.

Look in the logs to see what the problem is.  If you haven't shut down
the previous Tomcat instance that was running as a service, it may be
holding the ports, not allowing the new installation to use them.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Tomcat implementation: please help

Posted by Patrick2901 <ps...@pt.lu>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Patrick2901 [mailto:psaar@pt.lu]
> Subject: Tomcat implementation: please help
>
> In the book, it says that one can start Tomcat by entering
> %bin/startup.sh from the home directory (which is Tomcat 5.5).

For some unfathomable reason, the various scripts are not included in
the .exe download, but are in the .zip one.  The .exe version installs
Tomcat as a service; the .zip gives you more options.

Scripts ending with .sh are for Linux/UNIX systems; .bat is the proper
extension for Windows.

If you're just starting with Tomcat, I'd suggest using the latest 6.0
version, not 5.5.

Posted by Gary Evesson <ge...@gmail.com>.
Try startup.bat.

On Nov 26, 2007 8:01 AM, Patrick2901 <ps...@pt.lu> wrote:

> Hi,
> i'm using Windows XP SP2.
> Thanks, Patrick
>
> mgainty wrote:
> >
> > Hello Patrick-
> >
> > Which Operating System are you using to implement Tomcat?
> >
> > M-

Gary Evesson

Re: Tomcat implementation: please help

Posted by Patrick2901 <ps...@pt.lu>.