Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com> on 2016/07/05 18:23:56 UTC

Re: Malhar contribution guidelines

I received some feedback. Any other comments before adding these guidelines
to the project.

Thanks

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for the feedback. My comments inline.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Sanjay Pujare <sa...@datatorrent.com>
wrote:

> Hi Pramod
>
> Very useful document. Some questions/comments from me (sorry for any newbie
> comments):
>
> - for the "Update an Existing Operator" section, are there any backward
> compatibility constraints one should be aware of?

Yes the public and protected methods need to be preserved if they are not
evolving operators. There is a semantic versioning check that happens
during the build process, which ensures that these constraints are not
violated. I will add these to the guidelines.

> - it will be very useful to have each guideline illustrated by an actual
> example (e.g. an example of combining 2 or more operators in a module,
> initialization and teardown cases in
> constructor/setup/beginWindow/endWindow/deactivate/teardown etc)

I think those would be best suited for the operator developer guide. The
guidelines are meant to be used as a primer.

> - should the guidelines say something about unit tests and how unit tests
> should typically be written for operators (also include other kinds of
> automated tests in-case "unit" testing is difficult)

Good point, will add a section on that.

> - didn't find any references to WindowedOperator anywhere (but did find
> WindowedStream). Will be good to have hyperlinks for all references

David would probably work on that as he is working on the implementation.
The comment was forward looking.

> - java 1.8/1.7 compatibility requirement?

1.7 is a general requirement we have for the platform and should be
mentioned elsewhere in the docs. Not sure if we need to mention it
specifically in this document.

> - with respect to "...only the data for the first input port..." , how is
> "first" input port determined?

The first declared port, changed to mention that specifically.

Posted by Sanjay Pujare <sa...@datatorrent.com>.
Hi Pramod

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
The document has been split into two, one for contribution guidelines to
malhar on Apex site (discussed in an earlier email) and one for operator
development best practices and submitted as pull requests

https://github.com/apache/apex-malhar/pull/350
https://github.com/apache/apex-site/pull/44

Thanks

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> I can wait. I can also try to break it up into an abridged set of
> guidelines and add the details into the operator developer guide if
> they are missing.
>
> > On Jul 5, 2016, at 1:38 PM, Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com> wrote:
> >
> > I will also have a look at it.
> >
> > Wondering though if it shouldn't replace the existing operator developer
> > guide?
> >
> > http://apex.apache.org/docs/apex/operator_development/
> >
> > For the contributing guidelines on the web site, maybe it is better to
> have
> > a shorter checklist that gives folks the necessary pointers w/o too much
> > detail?
> >
> > http://apex.apache.org/contributing.html
> >
> > Thomas
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Munagala Ramanath <ra...@datatorrent.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Pramod, I'll take a look this evening if you can wait that long.
> >> Ram

> >> guidelines

> pramod@datatorrent.com

> >> the