Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/05 08:11:56 UTC

Re: Finding a home for storm-graph, storm-elastic-search, and storm-cassandra?

(shifting discussion to dev@)

Brian,

That’s a good question. There’s been some discussion in this respect, specifically with regard to storm-kafka, since that is a widely used module within the storm community.

The short answer is we don’t know quite yet. I think the near-term goal is to get Storm aligned with the Apache Way, get a first (Apache) release out, and then deal with these types of inquiries/contributions.

I think it’s still up in the air how we’re going to deal with “contrib”-type modules. So if you (or any other community members) have ideas in that respect, now would be a good time to chime in.

Hopefully some of our Apache mentors are listening, and can chime in, but from my understanding:

1. IP clearance is very important — you could start by changing the license/license headers so all IP is transferred to the ASF.
2. I’m not sure on this, but you may need to chase down all contributors and get CLAs.

Since I was involved with establishing and/or maintaining many of the projects you mentioned. I’d be happy to help out with transition in any way I can.

I’d also like to applaud Health Market Science for their commitment to and support of Storm and open source in general.

- Taylor