Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com> on 2000/08/01 03:45:15 UTC

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2

on 7/29/00 3:48 PM, Ted Leung at twleung@sauria.com wrote:

> In order to make some progress on this issue, I would like to have a vote on
> the usage of Xerces2 vs XRI.  Until that vote concludes, I will put both names
> back into the next version of the document.

XRI -- it contains the xerces name, and *doesn't* contain a version number.
It'll be ready when it's ready and then it can get a number.

.duncan

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
I'm +1 on XRI.  This is not a -1 on Xerces 2. Consider it a -0
on Xerces2.

Heres why:

1) It's not clear to me what the outcome of this little experiment
will be, and I don't want to commit to something that will fizzle out.
By saying Xerces 2 we are making a commitment, that I am
not prepared to make.  I want some time to experiment.  I don't want
to be committed for a version numbered release.  I want the freedom
to throw all the results of this effort away if they don't work out.  To
me, that's not Xerces 2.

2) There's already a xerces_2 branch in CVS, which was initiated
independently of the current requirements effort.  I don't want to
stop the work on that branch while we work out a new set of
requirements.  This is Xerces 2.

Ted

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.

Re: [VOTE] XRI vs Xerces 2