Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu> on 2013/01/20 04:39:14 UTC

Firewall

Hi

I've noticed that firewall on Win7 images is OFF during 'available' and 'inuse' states. Is it normal?
This is what I found out after a closer look.

vcld makes necessary changes to firewall during reservation or reload, but doesn't set firewall ON if the firewall was OFF.
I'm not sure if firewall configuration is part of base image config - i.e. set custom firewall rules manually and enable firewall (ON). I couldn't find any mentioning of firewall config during base image configuration.

I think expected behavior would be to set firewall ON (netsh advfirewall set allprofiles set on) during reload.
I've added above command (netsh adv…) to Version_6.pm to make sure that firewall is always ON regardless of initial firewall status on base image.

Thanks.

--
Dmitri Chebotarov
Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging

Re: Firewall

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Andy,

Thank you, this makes sense. Windows firewall does get in a way and it's easier to disable it.
It may be a good idea to reflect this in documentation (preparing base image).

Have you considered for VCL to provision a central network firewall? This way it would be OS independent solution which potentially could be easiest to manage and implement...
I've also noticed that Ubuntu.pm doesn't set firewall (VCL 2.3).

Thanks.

Re: Firewall

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.